Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Pto or not?

I'm looking to buy a new mower. I have always used exmark all have been belt drive because of less maintenance. I walked into a scag dealer interested in a new belt 48 velocity plus. First off the guy had allot to say about it and thats fine he's trying to make money like everyone else but the thing that can't see being reliable is a pto clutch? I like the scag because of the timken bearings in the greasable spindles, velocity plus, and overall feel of the mower. My delema is that I really don't want a machine that burns up 300+ dollar clutches all the time like I read on the posts. My question is are they any good? Also does anyone know why the use them instead of a simple engagement lever like exmark? And is their something maintenance wise that those guys that burn them up aren't doing? Just trying to see threw the bs thanks!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjs2 View Post
I'm looking to buy a new mower. I have always used exmark all have been belt drive because of less maintenance. I walked into a scag dealer interested in a new belt 48 velocity plus. First off the guy had allot to say about it and thats fine he's trying to make money like everyone else but the thing that can't see being reliable is a pto clutch? I like the scag because of the timken bearings in the greasable spindles, velocity plus, and overall feel of the mower. My delema is that I really don't want a machine that burns up 300+ dollar clutches all the time like I read on the posts. My question is are they any good? Also does anyone know why the use them instead of a simple engagement lever like exmark? And is their something maintenance wise that those guys that burn them up aren't doing? Just trying to see threw the bs thanks!
I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about on these clutches...most, if not all brands use an electric clutch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about on these clutches...most, if not all brands use an electric clutch.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think he,s talking WB mowers.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't let an electric clutch scare you. Yes eventually it will wear out but thats just what happens. Its like saying you want hard rubber tires so you never have to replace them. My experience with electric clutches has been good as long as you don't get dumb like I was years ago and ran double blades on a WB. I burned up 2 clutches in 8 months! Thats back when they cost 125 bucks to replace.
I replaced the clutch in my Toro Z with just under 950 hours. Not too bad in my opinion. Very few machines have a manual clutch. In fact I can only think of one now and thats a Walker. Dixie Chopper used to have a manual clutch and I am not sure but I do think thats gone in the newer ones.
Get the machine that will make you money and don't concentrate on what is going to wear out on them, everything wears out eventually.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Makes me proud to see a guy wanting a mower cuz it has Timken Bearings. My dad has been working/making Timken Bearings here in Canton, OH for over 30yrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
I think he,s talking WB mowers.
And like I said, I can't think of a brand that doesn't have an electric clutch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
And like I said, I can't think of a brand that doesn't have an electric clutch.
Posted via Mobile Device
A lot of the exmark walbehinds do or did not use an electric clutch. They use or used a belt tensioner like a Walker uses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My experience is that i'm very happy about the no clutch system on my exmark. I've never owned a scag, but my first commercial mower was a quick 36, and in 5 years of use, i used up 4 or 5 clutches.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
A lot of the exmark walbehinds do or did not use an electric clutch. They use or used a belt tensioner like a Walker uses.
Posted via Mobile Device
They must be old because I've not ever seen a manual clutch on an Exmark, even my nephews 10 plus year old Exmark has an electric clutch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
They must be old because I've not ever seen a manual clutch on an Exmark, even my nephews 10 plus year old Exmark has an electric clutch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Does he have a walkbehind
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
exmark , mowing , pto , question , scag