Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
Good info guys. Im probably going to ask her if she wants to plant anything in replace of these bushes and then give her a price for leaving the roots and a price for removing them.
Do you guys think $350 is about right for removing 5 large bushes and roots?
Sounds good. I could be in and out in 1.5 myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Before you dig call Miss Utility, it's the law!
You hit a power main I don't think a puny irrigation pipe is going to be of concern, you'll be dead instantly although granted
that may be what some folks want during hard times, I don't know but there's also like a thousand dollar fine associated.

Failure to call Miss Utility can and will result in serious headaches!
The more the homeowner insists that there's nothing there, the bigger the headache.
Purposefully not making the call is a crime.

Oh, one more thing...
You can't cut below ground level with a chainsaw.
While I agree with what you're saying, he's digging out some shrubs, not putting in a new foundation. If you're planning to use a hand shovel, you don't need to call them.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just pulled out (4) 4' evergreen type shrubs from the ex wife's last week.
Dug around trunk area, wrapped med duty chains around the base, and watered each one for 15 minutes.

Used a7g lb rated pull strap hooked to the chains and was a easy pull with 4wd high.

** she got a bit piffed over 4 shrubs laying in her front yard and called me with attitude.
Told her to back off before I bill her $200 seeing the b friend couldn't figure it out for her.
But I'd swing buy and pick up the shrubs and discard them for another 75 0r $275 total.

" oh that's ok, thank you for doing that" (lol)
Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you ever have to remove shrub stumps already cut to the ground I got a large hook from a buddy with a tow company. Drive it in under the roots and pull. I love my winch with remote control. Slow smooth pull and I can be out of the snapback zone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
While I agree with what you're saying, he's digging out some shrubs, not putting in a new foundation. If you're planning to use a hand shovel, you don't need to call them.
I don't like folks suggesting I break the law so if you don't
want me to call that simply means I will not do the job.

Last edited by topsites; 05-23-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
If you ever have to remove shrub stumps already cut to the ground I got a large hook from a buddy with a tow company. Drive it in under the roots and pull. I love my winch with remote control. Slow smooth pull and I can be out of the snapback zone.
Posted via Mobile Device
do you think my gravely 44 ZTR would be a good enough base to work a winch from?

i currently have two customers asking about stump removal. if i could hook a little DC operated winch to the gravely (830 lbs) that would give me access i need that my truck cannot...
Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNS LAWN CARE View Post
do you think my gravely 44 ZTR would be a good enough base to work a winch from?

i currently have two customers asking about stump removal. if i could hook a little DC operated winch to the gravely (830 lbs) that would give me access i need that my truck cannot...
No...800 pounds is nothing when pulling a stump...even a small one. I have a 8000 k warn on my yota and even small shrubs will drag it sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
No...800 pounds is nothing when pulling a stump...even a small one. I have a 8000 k warn on my yota and even small shrubs will drag it sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks, that's kinda what i was thinking after i posted...
Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Running a chain saw below ground level....ummm...no, don't do that!

I do a lot of this type of work. The exact approach depends on just how big they are and what type of shrub they are. If it's 5 plants and only a 12 foot long row they don't sound like they're all that big. What I do is cut them down leaving 2 or 3 feet of stump to use as a lever and to have something to put a rope/chain/cable on. Then I go around them with a mattock/grub axe/pick axe and/or a cheap sacrificial axe a little ways out from the stump and cut some of the roots until I can get the stump to start moving. If necessary I'll use a shovel too of course. I have one shovel that I keep sharpened along the bottom edge and a few inches up the sides. Once you can get the stump to move at all you can see where it's still holding on and cut those roots. I might then just continue by hand or use a come-along anchored to something solid like a large tree. I usually try to keep my truck out of it....I've seen some pretty crazy things happen using a vehicle to pull stumps. For the really big ones I'll use my tractor with backhoe and front-end loader, but most of the time it's more bother than it's worth.