Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

fall services

just curious to as what others are offering as far as fall clean up services. this is my first fall as my own buisness so all tips and help is appreciated. also how should I bid fall clean ups? iam offering 2 options 1 run the leaves over 2 different directions mulching them back into the lawn, I figured I'd charge for a regular mow, sound right? 2 blow flower beds and bag the lawn. thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We offer fall cleanups, perennial cut back and shrub pruning (when the shrub permits it). If all works out, we go out twice. The first time is just blowing out all the leaves from the landscape into the yard and mulching them into the ground, mowing at around 2"-2.5". The second time is the same, later in the season and hopefully near or at the first frost. This time we blow out the landscape again, mulch, then go over again with the bagger to get any larger particles. This is when we also do the prunning. Then we either bag and take off site, dump in the woods or take up with the vaccuum into the truck. Try not to bag much though, the customer doesnt care what happens to the leaves as long as they are gone and it is better for the lawn to mulch them
Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
We offer fall cleanups, perennial cut back and shrub pruning (when the shrub permits it). If all works out, we go out twice. The first time is just blowing out all the leaves from the landscape into the yard and mulching them into the ground, mowing at around 2"-2.5". The second time is the same, later in the season and hopefully near or at the first frost. This time we blow out the landscape again, mulch, then go over again with the bagger to get any larger particles. This is when we also do the prunning. Then we either bag and take off site, dump in the woods or take up with the vaccuum into the truck. Try not to bag much though, the customer doesnt care what happens to the leaves as long as they are gone and it is better for the lawn to mulch them
so you guys don't do the yards weekly like mowing? also how are you charging. thanks for the quick input
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what area you are located in. But here in Fresno California we are providing overseed services this fall. Fescue and perenniL rye seed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mowing will generaly stop in the next couple weeks. Then hold out on the lawns and do other work(pruning, other landscaping) and then right before the frost and all the leaves are down I either blow then in the woods or suck em up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We ll spool up fall clean-ups here in the next several weeks and will go till thanksgiving. We visit the properties multiple times so that we can keep ahead of the leaves. We have a large arsenal of leaf removal equipment and use a variety of methods based on what will work better for the property.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i offer clients one of 2 options: keep coming weekly and mulch the leaves, same price as mowing. or come once or twice thru fall and charge based on leaves down at the time. i prefer weekly as i feel imake more and its easier on equipment. alot of older folks would rather pay 200 or more over the course of several weeks than all at once it seems. if they dont have too many trees ill give the beds a quick blow weekly too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In south Florida, it's mulch, winter annuals, and palm trimming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
i offer clients one of 2 options: keep coming weekly and mulch the leaves, same price as mowing. or come once or twice thru fall and charge based on leaves down at the time. i prefer weekly as i feel imake more and its easier on equipment. alot of older folks would rather pay 200 or more over the course of several weeks than all at once it seems. if they dont have too many trees ill give the beds a quick blow weekly too.
Posted via Mobile Device
how do you charge for the when people want them all done at once?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I take how many times of mowing(or in this case mulching leaves) it would have been, add up the charge and that's what it costs them. For instance if I mow their yard for $30 and it would have been 4 weeks since leaves have been falling and I last did anything with their yard, I would charge them in the neighborhood of $120. give or take a few.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13