Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who has multiple locations?

We are on the verge of expanding and I really need a few mentors in this area.

Looking to expand to another city and need help with the do's and don'ts of adding another location.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you should be able to do $5M per year from one location. Once you exceed that number, then you will be wise to pursue a 2nd location. Before that, you are premature and creating more headaches, overhead, and inefficiencies. Just from what you show on your site, I think you are surely premature - no offense.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No offense taken. We do more than just lawn and landscape and the Indy market is showing way more activity than the Louisville or cinci market (which we both commute too). You are right on your assumption. I am no where near 5mill a year but I don't see us being able to do that in just one market.

Advice?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yard_smart View Post
No offense taken. We do more than just lawn and landscape and the Indy market is showing way more activity than the Louisville or cinci market (which we both commute too). You are right on your assumption. I am no where near 5mill a year but I don't see us being able to do that in just one market.

Advice?
Posted via Mobile Device
Drive time and expense to go to a new market verses expense renting buying new location to work out of.

Second location means that you will have to split your time between both locations to keep an eye on things at both places. If your not out running a crew now then going back and forth for will not present a problem.

If you are running a crew you need enough work to replace yourself as a crew leader so that you can be more of a management role.

You already may no longer do hands on any more but I point out that many ask for advice but they leave out important information about themselves.