Register free!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
I was thinkin 30% off was alot, but didn't know what profit margin was for hardscapes. I may give an immediate family member that deal but not a ****** installing pools.

I was kinda thinkin like grandview...he wants 30% off so he can tack 30% back on for himself.
Posted via Mobile Device

I attended a Vanderkoi (sp) seminar a few years ago and we went around the room and each contractor shared their net profit on a per job basis. The average was 18 to 22% (again, per job).

And that's about where we are with our hardscapes, sometimes 25%, sometimes 30%, but most of the time 18-22%.

LOL - so this guy claiming "30%" is just hilarious!!!!! It would be cheaper for me to not do the work at all (which we're not) and take the guy golfing for a day.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
Sounds like someone needs to get punched in the throat.
Good ole Ben, so very eloquent. And to the point.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Vander Koi is a great! Everyone needs to go listen to him.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should send him a bill for wasting your time reading and placing that in the trash can. Who would even mess with that..
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Got 2 options raise your price 30% more for him so he can have his little discount or tell him to kiss your a$$.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If he's the general on the job then he's the bank too. Sounds like he's trying to make sure he has positive cash flow. At one job I work at the standard mark up is 5-6%. I may have to general an irrigation system and that would be about 9-10% because I will have to outlay quite a bit of money.
Steve
Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

But i bet he has so much work that he can keep you busy non stop and you will make more money than ever. SARCASM
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Clearly someone thinks they're a baller. When I worked sales in a different industry, we'd always have big accounts sending out letters stating "in light of these challenging economic times all vendors will institute an immediate 5% price reduction or we will terminate their contracts." You'd be amazed how many companies (like the piece o' crap I worked for) would fall in line.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a difference between a
Sub-contractor and a contractor. I am a contractor, who also does general contracting of small jobs.

I have a friend that owns a concrete business. He
Works for a couple home builders and he does alotta concrete work for one pool builder. My friend does not know the first thing about marketing. He does not know anything about writing a contract. he has no experience with working with the public. He has never had to sit down and design a job. All He does is report to lot number 29 and pours concrete. he doesn't even have a website, he doesn't need one.

So a bonefide sub contractor can work for much less money than a true Contractor.

This job at hand the pool company knows nothing about the logistics. I have to coordinate the materials, I have to coordinate with the home owner havin vehicles moved, and very possibly have to work with the adjacent property owner to allow us to drive our loader over a portion of their lawn. See, a true sub-contractor usually does not have to obtain materials, the GC supplies the materials.

Also, this guy is not aware of the required permit and what's involved with the county!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Out west I worked for a landscape co that dealt directly with the homeowner but had to give a 10-15% kickback to the pool co. We obviously just marked our prices up by that much. It's where I learned to sell - if your pricing is that out of line with the market you better be able to close or you're going hungry.