Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You're one of those people that thinks that things everywhere else are just like where you are. The contractor in the video is located in Texas. The grass that he mentions, St Augustine, Bermuda and Zoysia, all go dormant to the point of the chlorophyll being lost. As a result the grass turns tan or brownish when the temps fall to freezing. There is NADA, NOTHING, ZIP that you can do to keep this from happening. You can fertilize it until the cows come home and it's still going to go dormant. His company is offering a legitimate solution for those that want green grass all winter.

You'd be surprised at how many football stadium grounds keepers and top of the line golf courses use paint to keep that grass green year 'round.
I have a contract for a high school football field and they paint it green for the playoffs because the Bermuda is dormant by then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You're one of those people that thinks that things everywhere else are just like where you are. The contractor in the video is located in Texas. The grass that he mentions, St Augustine, Bermuda and Zoysia, all go dormant to the point of the chlorophyll being lost. As a result the grass turns tan or brownish when the temps fall to freezing. There is NADA, NOTHING, ZIP that you can do to keep this from happening. You can fertilize it until the cows come home and it's still going to go dormant. His company is offering a legitimate solution for those that want green grass all winter.

You'd be surprised at how many football stadium grounds keepers and top of the line golf courses use paint to keep that grass green year 'round.
A voice of reason. It has not caught on down here though and I am assuming that is because even during the winter the turf still grows enough EOW that it needs cut. I am going to guess that keeping the lawn deep dark green would be one heck of a cost as the application would be made maybe once a month?

There is/was a company down here that used a green paint in there spray in hopes of drumming up business two years ago following a good freeze, hoping to draw the neighbors attention I guess. The problem was they did not tell the customers and over applied on one lawn I was on. The next day the chemical had not dried and the lady had two bichion frise that came out to great me on to have me watch them turn green as the trounced through the turf. True story. The company not only got fired but they got the bill for multiple baths at the vet to remove the paint.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!