Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Gravely Prostance cut quality?

How is the new Prostance cut quality compared to exmark, toro and scag. Being from Indiana I cut all cool season turf with weeds. Also I am going to need it to lay some good stripes as well. I am leaning more towards the V ride over the Gravely or Grandstand because I mow some bigger properties and the 11mph speed would be nice for those on the 60" model I will be getting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also forgot to mention that the mower has to perform well in all conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I have zero experience with the Prostance, but I do own a V-Ride as well as a Gravely ZTR with the X-Factor deck. I can easily SEE the distinction between both decks. Of course this is my opinion only, but I truly believe the edge goes to the SCAG Velocity deck. I am thoroughly pleased with my V-Ride, so much so that I prefer to use that machine versus my Gravely and other SCAG machines.

Serving Northeast Ohio
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I also forgot to add that the V-ride seems to have a higher resale value compared to the Gravely standers I have seen on the market.

Serving Northeast Ohio
Old 09-25-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What size is your v ride? I am looking at a 61" and a 52". I am waiting on the dealer to get a demo for me to run for a few days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is there a reason you don't want a ztr? I ask because the larger stand on mower decks can and will scalp given the right situation. If you're going to a 61 deck, you should consider a Cheetah.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are a few reasons I am looking at going from sitting to standing.
1. Trailer space. A lot of my accounts have small parking lots so having room for my truck and trailer is a concern. My truck with 16' trailer is about the max room I can afford. This will allow me to get three mowers in my trailer vs two riders.

2. I feel stand on mowers are time savers on a lot of my accounts. Them being more compact I can get in and out of tight areas better.

3. Weight. Stand on mowers weigh 500-600 lbs less than a rider. So less turf damage.

4. Cost. Standers cost about $2-3,000 less than a rider. Since I am selling my Kubota I am hoping to get enough to buy two new standers vs one rider and then having to finance the other. I try to run debt free.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I mow a lot of apartment complex and nursing home. Those are always heavy on the landscaping so mower that is very maneuverable is worth more than a mower that can cut quick. I do have a few factories so that is one reason I am looking at the V Ride because the 61" does have a top speed of 11mph so that will come in handy on those few accounts. But at the same time the same machine will save me countless hours on the other properties with it efficiency.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo, demo, demo. Good luck with finding a deck that does it all and when you do let me know where I can get one. I live far north and have the finest fescue around. Battling stragglers/stingers and pressed down grasses up here on a 460 with the X Factor. IMO due to low vacuum or lift. Not as bad with mulch kit but the mulch kit has it's own problems or limitations. Discharge is great. I hear more positive though than negative from guys south of me.

Been a while since I've run Scag (about 12 yrs. ago in Ohio grasses). They remind me of the Hustler Super Z set up for handling grasses at high volume at high speed but leaving big carpet of larger clippings in lush grass. Things probably have changed since then though.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Pips View Post
I also forgot to add that the V-ride seems to have a higher resale value compared to the Gravely standers I have seen on the market.
Don't forget that gravely came out with a new stander with a new deck. Old version had no resale. Who knows about the new ones
Posted via Mobile Device