Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old wall failing, Just put a new one in front of it

I a neighbor behind me had me look at a failing wood tie wall. He wanted me to price one with SRW block and one with wood ties, however he was dead set on having a new wall constucted directly in front of the old one. Does anyone have any pictures of how if he has this done once the old wall continues to fail and lean over that it will do the same to the new wall. He thinks that the SRW block with hold back the gravity of the failing old wall. Any pictures of literature would help so that I can explain this to him. I probably would walk awayfrom this but he is my neighbor in back of me and whatever he does directly affects mesince this wall is what separates our two properties.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffslawnservice View Post
I probably would walk awayfrom this but he is my neighbor in back of me and whatever he does directly affects mesince this wall is what separates our two properties.
even more of a reason to do it correctly. By the sound of it you don't have the knowledge to tackle this project. Some pictures would help, but you don't need us to tell you it sounds like the old wall needs to be removed for proper drainage stone, etc. behind the wall
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I a neighbor behind me had me look at a failing wood tie wall. He wanted me to price one with SRW block and one with wood ties, however he was dead set on having a new wall constucted directly in front of the old one. Does anyone have any pictures of how if he has this done once the old wall continues to fail and lean over that it will do the same to the new wall. He thinks that the SRW block with hold back the gravity of the failing old wall. Any pictures of literature would help so that I can explain this to him. I probably would walk awayfrom this but he is my neighbor in back of me and whatever he does directly affects mesince this wall is what separates our two properties.

Sounds like this guy knows more about walls then a wall builder does.

You cant build a wall the way the customer wants. Can your customer tell you what hydrostatic pressure is/means? Can your customer tell you why grid is used? Can your customer tell you all about drainage chimneys??

R-Walls are not to be taken lightly. Do it the way the customer wants, and if it fails - you're liable / responsible.

Build it right from the get go. Remove the old wall. If the old fart doesnt like that idea - then to hell with him.

No more discussion!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
even more of a reason to do it correctly. By the sound of it you don't have the knowledge to tackle this project. Some pictures would help, but you don't need us to tell you it sounds like the old wall needs to be removed for proper drainage stone, etc. behind the wall
Here are a few pictures. Maybe i worded myself wrong, I feel as if I am capable of taking on a project like this. I have done similar ones before and as long as the wall is installed correctly with proper back fill and grid I see no reason why I should not look into taking this project on.

My main reason for posting on here was to get a few pictures of walls installed incorrectly that people on here might have seen. I want to show the homeowner that you need a footer, proper back fill, grid, and can not simply install another wall directly infront of the old one without removing the oldwall first.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Sounds like this guy knows more about walls then a wall builder does.

You cant build a wall the way the customer wants. Can your customer tell you what hydrostatic pressure is/means? Can your customer tell you why grid is used? Can your customer tell you all about drainage chimneys??

R-Walls are not to be taken lightly. Do it the way the customer wants, and if it fails - you're liable / responsible.

Build it right from the get go. Remove the old wall. If the old fart doesnt like that idea - then to hell with him.

No more discussion!
Exactly why I would have walked awayfrom this job but I dont want tocome home and find a half azzed new wall in my backyard built by someone who listened to what he wants.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Exactly why I would have walked awayfrom this job but I dont want tocome home and find a half azzed new wall in my backyard built by someone who listened to what he wants.
Then move!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That tree looks to be doing that wall wonder
Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

helical tie-back

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!