Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info, I may have to rethink my options here....
Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldsStrongestLandscaper View Post
Ok I did this for two seasons on both my extended toungue enclosed trailers. I used u bolts to hold down the 20 hp giant vacs a piece of tire in between to lessen the vibration. Worked great with my 550 and 350 ( with 550 rear springs ) but with the trailers loaded and the extra toungue weight I destroyed the axels. Shattered about 12 sets of wheel bearings over those two years and one axel was damaged so badly it had to be replaced They were the 3500 lb axels. I wish I spent the extra 1000 and got the 5k axels. Do not Do this to yourself only recvomended if u have the heavier axels. Other wise make sure u have the extended tongues and use lock tite on the threads for the 6 nuts of the u bolts. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have any pictures of your leaf vac set-up?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out this thread - lots of nice rigs. Posts 13 and 151 have tongue mounted leaf loaders. In post 160, one of the guys shows a drawing of his box before he built it, but that is probably not what you are looking for.

I was looking for a thread that a guy made showing in detail how he built his trailer box with a tongue mount but didn't find it. Search in landscape maintenance, you'll find it. he ended up not using it much, so he says, and had it up for sale here very recently. It must have sold, i guess, because it's not in the classifieds anymore. I am wondering if he was having some of the same axle overload problems that a previous post here mentions, so he decided to sell it ? He says he didn't use it as much as he thought, but I would be careful about a tongue mount. Lots of effective setups can be found, but few are tongue mounts. Good luck !

PS I spent many years landscaping in Amherst and Clarence back in the 80's and 90's. Are things still hoppin" around there ?Go Bills !
Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Found the thread I was talking about because the guy responded to a WTB dump trailer in the want ads. Here it is He does a really nice job putting together a tongue mounted leaf loader and box on a dump trailer. And he documents the construction very well with photos in this thread. He is selling the dump trailer but no longer wants to sell the leaf loader, but I am sure his good work on the tongue mount is still on the dump trailer if you are interested
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks chris for the links and info. I primarily work in the East Amherst / Clarence areas. Business has been very good to us this year.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajordan193 View Post
Do you have any pictures of your leaf vac set-up?
It was not last season but the season b4. So new phone so nope. If I had them I lost them.
Posted via Mobile Device