Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Extreme here for my enclosed trailer. Is there something wrong with hanging them vertically in an enclosed trailer?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
After thinking about this I think there are 2 best racks.

If security is what you're after then the Extreme is the one you want. It has it's shortcomings though, especially if you don't get the optional engine supports.

If you only need enough security to keep opportunistic thieves at bay, then the TrimmerTrap is the best. TrimmerTrap does a very good job of holding your trimmers without snapping the heads off, the trimmers don't spin around in the rack, they're more affordable than the Extreme and you don't have to add weight to your trimmers to use the TrimmerTrap.
I agree. I've never used trimmer traps but I see a lot of guys that do so they must be good. With the extreme I have I haven't had any problems with trimmer heads breaking off and I drive on some pretty rough roads. And the aluminum blocks you fasten to the trimmers weigh next to nothing, you can't even notice them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron79mowing View Post
Trimmer trap without a doubt. Although it can be hard on trimmer grips of certain brands. It will tear a junk echo grip up in no time, while my shindiawa and red max trimmers work perfectly in it.
I'm bringing this thread back because all I own is Echo equipment and I'd like to know if any Echo users have had this problem with the Trimmer Trap.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

i have a few echo trimmers and i would like to know also , thanks guys
Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've owned both Trimmer Trap and the Extreme and the Extreme is ten times better. The Trimmer Trap guillotine slide is a real PIA compared to the Extreme. Buy extra springs for the TT because they need to be replaces at least once a year. The TT also allows the trimmers to spin just enough that it twists up the hand grips and pisses you off.

You guys will waste time at every stop getting their trimmers out of the TT. The Extreme is quicker and will save you money. I figure my trimmers are being removed or racked 650 times a year. The Extreme saves me at least $200 a year in labor. The TT belongs in the Smithsonian because it is very outdated and crude.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-26-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm racking and unracking about the same number of times and I just don't have these problems. I'm also on the same spring and this rack was bought in 2005.

You may be one of those people that is just hard on tools and don't even realize it. My friend is like that. His seat on his Dixie is getting all torn up and he complained about it. I told him mine is fine. He said he has more hours on his. We compared hours and I have him beat by about 500 hours. And mine is 2 years older.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I'm racking and unracking about the same number of times and I just don't have these problems. I'm also on the same spring and this rack was bought in 2005.

You may be one of those people that is just hard on tools and don't even realize it. My friend is like that. His seat on his Dixie is getting all torn up and he complained about it. I told him mine is fine. He said he has more hours on his. We compared hours and I have him beat by about 500 hours. And mine is 2 years older.
My spring never broke but it would become weak and allow the trimmers to turn even more. My rack was on the front of the trailer not the side so clamping force was more important to prevent spinning when the truck slowed down or accelerated. If you rack is mounted parallel to the length of the trailer a weak spring is much less of an issue.

Buy an Extreme and see what your missing. I challenge you to find a single person like myself who has owned both and prefers the archaic TT. The TT wastes your money at every stop you make. Even if your a solo guy your time is valuable isn't it?

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
The TT wastes your money at every stop you make. Even if your a solo guy your time is valuable isn't it?
I'm sorry, I just don't get it. I can remove my trimmer in a second or less. How is another rack going to make any difference?

I bought my first TT 3 place rack in 2000. I have unracked and rereacked trimmers and edgers tens of thousands of times from these racks. I'm pretty good at it.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just don't get it. I can remove my trimmer in a second or less. How is another rack going to make any difference?

I bought my first TT 3 place rack in 2000. I have unracked and rereacked trimmers and edgers tens of thousands of times from these racks. I'm pretty good at it.
Buy an Extreme and you will kick yourself in the azz for not buying one sooner. Like I said before I speak from experience on the two racks and am not having to merely speculate. I though the TT was fine when I owned it but once I got the Extreme I realized how obsolete the TT was in comparison.

If you get to the point where your paying crews to run around on your dime you will realize the short comings of the TT versus the Extreme. It's that simple.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also am a extreme user. I have owned both types and after my experience with the weedeaters always falling off the rack with the trimmer traps I will never buy them again. If you don't lock them down they will fall of the first bump you hit. I know everyone will think who would forget to lock them down but it happens. Get in a hurry or just simply forget. I personally have never forgot buy my guys have numerous times and I know of atleast twice when they lost a trimmer off them.
Posted via Mobile Device