Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 PM
jbell36 jbell36 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
It would prob be safe to run 4 rotors per zone at 50 psi and 6 rotors at 90 psi. Using 2, 2.5, and 3 gpm nozzles depending on rotor radius. And if it hit the fan, you have room to nozzle down.
Posted via Mobile Device
this is exactly what i was thinking, but i wanted to ask because i'm usually wrong...on this particular system we have 7 heads on two of the zones and i can guarantee you we could put another 7 on...you can't even push the head down with your foot...we didn't design the system, but we did renovate it...the issue is it's on a huge hill and years ago when the house was first built the builder didn't backfill or pack the hillside properly and there was a landslide...i didn't find this out til later, because the design of the system made absolutely no sense, but when they told me this it all clicked...there was 40' of swing pipe at the bottom coming up at a 45 degree angle to compensate for the pipe/heads that slid down the hill...one lateral was only half way across the hill, so we had to install like 100' or something like that just to complete the system...

anyways, i was thinking while i was there how i would have designed the system knowing it was a 5/8 meter and knowing there is 90 psi...it just makes more sense to me that if you are able to put more heads on a zone that will cover adequately then why not...i just figured i would ask just in case there was something i didn't know about that i would be doing wrong
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Love those fuzzy, upside down/ sideways pics.
That was before i figured out u have to hold an iphone sideways to take a pic!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
this is exactly what i was thinking, but i wanted to ask because i'm usually wrong...on this particular system we have 7 heads on two of the zones and i can guarantee you we could put another 7 on...you can't even push the head down with your foot...we didn't design the system, but we did renovate it...the issue is it's on a huge hill and years ago when the house was first built the builder didn't backfill or pack the hillside properly and there was a landslide...i didn't find this out til later, because the design of the system made absolutely no sense, but when they told me this it all clicked...there was 40' of swing pipe at the bottom coming up at a 45 degree angle to compensate for the pipe/heads that slid down the hill...one lateral was only half way across the hill, so we had to install like 100' or something like that just to complete the system...

anyways, i was thinking while i was there how i would have designed the system knowing it was a 5/8 meter and knowing there is 90 psi...it just makes more sense to me that if you are able to put more heads on a zone that will cover adequately then why not...i just figured i would ask just in case there was something i didn't know about that i would be doing wrong
If it is a new neighborhood, i usually try not to max out gpms. Also keep in mind you lose/gain a 1/2lb of pressure per foot of rise/decline.

And on a long pipe run to the backyard you are going to have some pressure loss if it is 1" pipe. So if you are running 7 heads with great pressure right at the meter, then try to do the same 200' behind the meter and up an incline you could have a problem. I always try to be conservative... keeps me out of trouble and leaves the option to add a head in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 PM
jbell36 jbell36 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 1,226
yeah this is all down hill from the meter,thanks for bringing that up, didn't think about that...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 PM
greenmonster304's Avatar
greenmonster304 greenmonster304 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: You Know
Posts: 2,544
I used to have a chart that listed static pressure, meter size, and service line size. Using those numbers it would tell you the gpm. I can't for the life of Mencius it now though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
If it is a new neighborhood, i usually try not to max out gpms. Also keep in mind you lose/gain a 1/2lb of pressure per foot of rise/decline.

And on a long pipe run to the backyard you are going to have some pressure loss if it is 1" pipe. So if you are running 7 heads with great pressure right at the meter, then try to do the same 200' behind the meter and up an incline you could have a problem. I always try to be conservative... keeps me out of trouble and leaves the option to add a head in the future.
If you are being conservative use 0.433 per ft. instead of .5

6.70 psi per hundred ft. difference
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
If you are being conservative use 0.433 per ft. instead of .5
Careful man, you might upset boots.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 40,708
Arrrrrgh, I can't find it on me slide rule.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
If you are being conservative use 0.433 per ft. instead of .5

6.70 psi per hundred ft. difference
Posted via Mobile Device
You just had to google that didnt you
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
You just had to google that didnt you
Posted via Mobile Device
Nope, i am not an internet contractor.

Rule of thumb is 2psi per 5 ft
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Page generated in 0.06879 seconds with 10 queries