Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no the GS walk position is simply worthless, it throws the weight distribution way off and loses all traction...BUT, they are great on hills in the stand position...i also like the stand on position/platform better than any stander out there...the biggest downfall i have heard about the v ride is hillside stability, but apparently there is something you can do about it...

great review, although even as you stated it's not apples to apples...i love our grandstands, the cut is awesome in any grass, tall short, dry wet, etc...one thing that you might have experienced is toro's discharge thing they have on their decks...it's worthless as well, you should make sure it's wide open or even take it off, it has the "A" "B" "C" settings...the more i compare the better i like our grandstands, and we even have the first year gs's with the most problems...i agree tho, they should make them go faster...we tweaked ours so they do go faster, but still, the competition is getting faster and faster...
Old 09-26-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Isn't that common to most standons?
I can't speak for every standon but my GS does fine, but it does have it's limits, I found out last week, as I went over the limit with mine. I was on a very steep incline on a bermuda yard I had it in walk mode and it took off sliding when I tried to turn it uphill to make another pass, What I discovered is you have to walk it up and back it down a steep incline, not try to turn around or even go side to side with it, but after talking to several other LCO that use sit downs they told me it's the same for them even with a sit down, so there is no advantage to a sit down even on steep incline's.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I can't speak for every standon but my GS does fine, but it does have it's limits, I found out last week, as I went over the limit with mine. I was on a very steep incline on a bermuda yard I had it in walk mode and it took off sliding when I tried to turn it uphill to make another pass, What I discovered is you have to walk it up and back it down a steep incline, not try to turn around or even go side to side with it, but after talking to several other LCO that use sit downs they told me it's the same for them even with a sit down, so there is no advantage to a sit down even on steep incline's.
That has been my experience as well.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have a 60" Vantage. It is fine on nearly any slope, if dry, so long as the nose is slightly uphill from the rear. Once the nose gets below that point it wants to go to the bottom of the hill.
That's what I've been trying to explain...and when it noses down its going...ain't no stopping it and it can be quite dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
That has been my experience as well.
I'm just thankful that I was able to get it to stop before it went over this guys retaining wall, I laugh now but I was freaking out when it was happening Lesson learned for sure. I just ordered a 23HP kawasaki 52" GS for next season. Saves a lot of room and weight on the trailer. Honestly how fast do you need to cut anyway? It's plenty fast enough for me.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've crashed into a fence with vride that was at the bottom of a hill, almost ran into a gulley.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
That's what I've been trying to explain...and when it noses down its going...ain't no stopping it and it can be quite dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device
My first reaction used to be to pull back on the controls. Only thing that accomplished was bigger skid marks. What seems to work better is to try to turn out of the slide. With experience one can tell when it is about to get away from you.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'm just thankful that I was able to get it to stop before it went over this guys retaining wall, I laugh now but I was freaking out when it was happening Lesson learned for sure. I just ordered a 23HP kawasaki 52" GS for next season. Saves a lot of room and weight on the trailer. Honestly how fast do you need to cut anyway? It's plenty fast enough for me.
8 mph is fine for my mid sized residentials.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Not sure if the 61 has front weights or not but I took my front weight off of my 48 v ride and it made everything better. You can wheely out ditches and it'll take your 6 rating on hills to a 9 or better. If I had to buy a new mower right now I would buy the 61 v ride. Maybe I would try the wright zk also.

I saw your post and discovered 1 weight on the front of our 61. I removed and the front end will come up off the ground a little now. We'll see how much difference it makes. It probably won't be as drastic as you removing the weights off your 48.

Adding weight to the rear may be the next step.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think every mower has it's limits no matter if it's a sit down or standon, I honestly think it's mostly a personal preference thing, I seen sitdowns go out of control also on hills, saw one sliding down a hill almost into traffic this past summer, as I was driving by, I felt bad for the guy he was defintly out of control.

Tags
deere , scag , toro , turboforce , velocity plus