Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Have you been paid?
Oh yeah. The day I finished. The owner and I have become pretty good friends throughout this and talk almost everyday. He said he doesn't want me to do any work on the repairs until I get money whether its from him or the pool company. But my guards up because when it comes to money people can act goofy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmyj View Post
Oh yeah. The day I finished. The owner and I have become pretty good friends throughout this and talk almost everyday. He said he doesn't want me to do any work on the repairs until I get money whether its from him or the pool company. But my guards up because when it comes to money people can act goofy
Posted via Mobile Device
The pool company will not be paying you, they will use their own contractor before they pay you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
The pool company will not be paying you, they will use their own contractor before they pay you.
Posted via Mobile Device
The homeowner would have to agree to that and most likely they won't. I wouldn't let that company back on my property.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

The owner won't allow any other company to do it but at the same time the pool company is fighting me enough that I told them if I don't get money in hand find another company to do it. I told the customer to have them pull the pool out and give up on the idea because he will have to deal with them forever because no one else will work on their pool. I called another pool company I deal with and he said he looked at doing a pool at this house and walked away because he knew this would happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Knowing this and knowing that is all moot at this point. Totally irrelevant.

Think about this bud. The homemowner wants the pool fixed. See, you're the one who wants the pool company sued. But its not your home, nor your money. Say the pool company says "ok, we'll fix it we'll start next week", the home owner has no say in who does what. If the pool company were to cooperate (remember that's what the homeowner ultimately wants), the homeowner will not have any say in the matter, and doing so would give the contractor leverage in court. Me, as a contractor, I would fix it before we would go to court, much cheaper for EVERYONE. But it would be on my terms.

Now, is there anything about your patio you don't want another hardscape guy discovering? You used geotextile fabric right? You used the proper sand and aggregate, right?

I'm not intending to be a jerk. One thing my dad taught me when I was a teen ager is "everybody is always nice until it comes to money". Words I live by. Along with these two words: "wishing thinking"

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 09-27-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I would much rather everything get fixed especially for the home owner but my problem is they want to do the cheap fix to get them through the winter so they can wash their hands of it. They keep wanting to just fix the wall with the same block and not use geogrid and get the proper drainage. It's a messy deal that could be fixed and everyone is happy but they keep pushing him off and playing the blame game. As far as my patio I'm comfortable with what we've done as far as being right and want to get it back to the original look but also don't want to come back next year and redo it again because corners were cut to save money. I don't think your being a jerk at all. I appreciate the comments. In your comment you said you would fix it before you went to court which is where I stand. If I felt I did a poor job I would be eating repairs because my reputation means everything to me but they don't look at it this way. Again I appreciate your comments.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

People of a certain ethniticity (lets say where dell's call centee is located) are notorious for going out if their way to have work done at a rock bottom price. Sacrificing all aspects of structural integrity.

As a contractor, I can play along with that. But I have clause after clause after clause in my contract!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The sad part is how many times I told the customer it was going to fail and yet I still did it. I thought it would slowly fail but not two days after completion.
I'm still hung up on this line.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

What I meant by that was even they kept saying it was good I thought it fail over time as far as the wall bulging out and needing to be redone but didn't think that it would fail to the point of the pool actually picking up on 1 side. I thought it would be a slow fail and caught before any structural damage And damage to my work was done. On a positive note the pool company finally turned it into insurance so now we can move forward without playing the blame game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What I meant by that was even they kept saying it was good I thought it fail over time as far as the wall bulging out and needing to be redone but didn't think that it would fail to the point of the pool actually picking up on 1 side. I thought it would be a slow fail and caught before any structural damage And damage to my work was done. On a positive note the pool company finally turned it into insurance so now we can move forward without playing the blame game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Been watching this from the start.

So, in other words, they realized they screwed up.

Good luck.