Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Walker MC 20HP wont start

I have a walker MC with a 20HP Kohler. I get nothing when I turn the key. New battery, new relays, new switch. I don't see any frayed or broken wires. Safety's seem to be working. I haven't tested but when you push the PTO safety you can hear the relay clicking. Same with the Neutral. Seat safety shouldn't matter for starting. The starter was new last year and it spins when you jump straight from the battery. No power at solenoid when key is turned. I'm not the best with wiring not sure what to check when. I can use a multimeter, just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try to hold down the neutral switch and start. The lever might not come down and push the button.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, already tried that. any other suggestions.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah. I had a man help me this past winter with similar problems. His name is David. His email is henderson1967@gmail.com. If there is a probem with the email let me know and I will call him and see if he will still give free help. He is a walker expert.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker won't start

I have had this similar problem before, It is usually a relay or safety switch, but here is what I do first to get by until it is fixed. I ran a wire from the battery to the 12V terminal (spade plug) on the starter. I put a push button in the line, so I can start it that way. If it turns over using this method then you have a relay or safety switch problem. I had so much trouble with one mower that I put a toggle switch in the instrument panel and ran a wire from it to the starter. To start click the key then hold the toggle switch until it starts.

The last time I had the problem it was on an MT model and the relay near the blower went bad. The is an easy fix. I would try that first. Look in the back of the illustrated parts book to see the electrical diagram to trace wiring
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I have a bypass wire on my mower. I no it is not smart move but it gets me finished for the day.