Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The colder it gets, the longer I let my equipment warm up before use. Cold oil combined with a cold engine is a killer. I read a report on tractor trailers that use engine oil preheaters. They said they could get something like 40% more life out of an engine if the oil is preheated.

What I really don't like doing is moving my ZTR with ice cold hydros. I may put a preheater pad on the tank to at least warm up the oil. It's a 1.5 gallon steel tank so a pad should work fine.
You kinda got me thinkin...

I could be wrong but I believe the reason for warm oil in an engine is to reduce the viscosity and get the oil back up out of the pan and to the top of engine quickly.

The hydros should be plumbed so that the fluid level in the tank is above the top of the pumps. They should never run without oil. I guess if it gets down to say -20F (not that you have to worry about that over there...) the oil could get so thick that the pumps may cavitate. That would not be good.

Q
Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I let my machines warm up and cool down as long as possible without eating into the day too much. Usually a few minutes in the morning while I get everybody started. Then I tell the guys to let them cool before shutting them down for lunch, then a few minutes after lunch for a warm up, then at the end of the day, I have them idle while I blow out the trailer and blow off the equipment.

On a good day, I only have to turn the machines on twice...in the AM, and after lunch. I don't like turning them off and on anymore than that.

If it's real cold, I'll turn the machines on at the shop while I wait finish making sure everything else is good to go so I figure it'll be easier on the machines when I get to my property.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

93Chevy - so you keep them running on the trailer? Or at you at the same location all day or what? Hope you're not keeping them running in an enclosed trailer.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
93Chevy - so you keep them running on the trailer? Or at you at the same location all day or what? Hope you're not keeping them running in an enclosed trailer.
Oh, no, I only take care of 6 properties per week...sometimes more if another crew is behind, but we're typically on location all day.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK...that makes sense.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
OK...that makes sense.
LOL, I could only imagine the fumes building up between stops. I think there would be a lot more accidents.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never warm up anything, and the only time I let a machine "cool" down if its run wide open for a long peoriod of time which doesnt happen often.
In real cool weather the Kawasakis have to warm up or they wont stay running they seem to be extremely cold blodded.
Im religious about keeping clean oil in all my engines.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I start the cool down process right as I'm nearing the end of the work curve for that tool, so about a minute or two before I think I'm going to be finished, I throttle down a bit...

By the time I'm done, I shut her off.
Hardly wastes any time.
Very efficient on fuel.

Sort of like letting off the gas long before getting to the red light, makes braking obsolete.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the year we don't need to warm our equipment up very long at all. For the few days a year that it gets "cold" we will start everything at the shop and let it run for a few minutes.

Cooling down, only if they have been worked hard for long periods of time.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansoph View Post
Do you let your equipment warm up and cool down?

better letter warm up before you git-r-dun!