Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buttonweed in St Aug

A new customer called today and apparently buttonweed has taken over his St Aug. Is there any point in treating at this point in the year or should I just wait and get it next year? I'm in south Arkansas and temps here are lows 60 to highs mid 80's. Grass is definitely slowing down but will continue to stay green til late Nov, sometimes into Dec if winters are mild.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in southern Georgia similar temps I would go ahead and treat I know in a couple months it will be gone but treating now should make it easier to tackle next spring. Fyi great results with celcius on St. Augustine.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Not sure how much of it is in the yard...but with those temps and where your at...fill in will take a while...don't think anyone wants to look at bare spots all winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't have a label in front of me now, but check for Buttonweed; using Simazine now would give about three weeks of pre-emergent control. Otherwise, Dismiss or Celsius would be a good choice.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Don't have a label in front of me now, but check for Buttonweed; using Simazine now would give about three weeks of pre-emergent control. Otherwise, Dismiss or Celsius would be a good choice.
I was thinking about a Dismiss & Celsius combo, have to check label. I looked at the simazine label and it does not list buttonweed, do you think it would have pre-emergent action on this?

Diamond,
You're right fill in will be almost non-existent, will make sure to tell customer this.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I was thinking about a Dismiss & Celsius combo, have to check label. I looked at the simazine label and it does not list buttonweed, do you think it would have pre-emergent action on this?

Diamond,
You're right fill in will be almost non-existent, will make sure to tell customer this.
Atrazine is labeled for Button Weed.

Sorry I don't know your climate and can not advise best treatment window. My area, turf is year round growing season. However From now till spring we are in the slower part of our growing season. I hate to kill out large patches of weeds this time of year because the turf doesn't grow in as quick. I don't want to plant Rye grass because it will compete with the desirable turf in the spring.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Atrazine is labeled for Button Weed.

Sorry I don't know your climate and can not advise best treatment window. My area, turf is year round growing season. However From now till spring we are in the slower part of our growing season. I hate to kill out large patches of weeds this time of year because the turf doesn't grow in as quick. I don't want to plant Rye grass because it will compete with the desirable turf in the spring.

I've never used atrazine, kind of afraid of it. Are there any pre's for buttonweed, Gallery maybe-even though it is not on the label, just wondering?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Virginia Buttonweed will check out over the winter anyway so why is everybody worried about spraying and leaving bare spots. Treat now take advantage of what little growing season you have left, more competition against it next spring.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueturf View Post
Virginia Buttonweed will check out over the winter anyway so why is everybody worried about spraying and leaving bare spots. Treat now take advantage of what little growing season you have left, more competition against it next spring.
I disagree. He's already getting lows in the 60s. We are mid 80s during day here and mid 70s at night and our st aug has already slowed down. He's not going to get much of any fill in, even by pounding with fert(which won't do much given his temps). I would wait till next spring personally DEPENDING how much buttonweed there is....if its a little, sure, kill it now. If its a lot, I wouldn't go killing it now given where your temps are at.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's beginning to turn a little purple here because of the cool nights. That and increasingly shorter daylight hours are slowing all turf and most summer weeds down. If a weed isn't growing, it will not die. Communicate to the customer that spraying it at this time would do more harm than good. If it is large patches I would be on it as soon as it shows itself again next spring. I spray buttonweed in St. Aug with 1oz/acre metsulfuron+MSO. I have a friend who spikes this with a herbicide called Spotlight. He swears it actually will eliminate Virginia Buttonweed. I have only been able to control/supress it with the straight metsulfuron/MSO mix I use.

As far as I know, there is no pre-emergent to control it. If you find that there is one, please let me know.