Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM
21eagle 21eagle is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 92
HELP WHAT DUMP TRUCK??? My First

I need a dump truck for hauling asphalt. I've been getting a lot of patch work and all large patches needing 8tons plus. What dump should I buy? Single axle? Tandem? Was thinking international 4700 or freightliner FL70? Should I just hire Trucks to haul? Thank You for any help
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,186
8 tons is 16000 lbs so with the trucks weight you're in cdl territory aka tandem. My international can definitely haul. Even though its under cdl i hve hauled cdl weight. Cannot comment on freightlinerds though. Depending on your frequency and price of trucking you might want to just hire it out since those big trucks can get expensive. I have a good setup with 10 wheelers and rolloffs so i let him do the big weight
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 PM
4 seasons lawn&land's Avatar
4 seasons lawn&land 4 seasons lawn&land is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,346
My 4400 was the right price and I like it but it does seem like it might be 90% of the operating cost of a tandem with 50% of the capacities. I cant say that from experience. Of course it has its advantages being half the size too. Most single axles will haul 9 tons.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
8 tons is 16000 lbs so with the trucks weight you're in cdl territory aka tandem. My international can definitely haul. Even though its under cdl i hve hauled cdl weight. Cannot comment on freightlinerds though. Depending on your frequency and price of trucking you might want to just hire it out since those big trucks can get expensive. I have a good setup with 10 wheelers and rolloffs so i let him do the big weight
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't need a tandem to haul 8 tons and you can need a CDL with a single axle.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,186
Right and right. But my single axle is heavy enough empty that you do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Right and right. But my single axle is heavy enough empty that you do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Eh?.............
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,394
Subscribed.......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,186
My single axle weighs 16500 empty. So to haul eight tons i would be over 26k and therefore would need a cdl. Sorry for the confusion
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
My single axle weighs 16500 empty. So to haul eight tons i would be over 26k and therefore would need a cdl. Sorry for the confusion
Posted via Mobile Device
But what is the GVWR?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,186
25500
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.07136 seconds with 9 queries