Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Trouble w/ RedMax EBZ8050

I was recently given a Red Max EBZ8050 by a landscaper buddy. He gave it to me since it stopped running right:

I got it with no back story. The spark plug was MIA so I started with a fresh one. I was able to get it to "run", but it smokes like crazy. I'm talking instantaneous James Bond smoke screen. Of course it only runs for a few seconds and then dies.

Anything typical with these that causes this? I see the carb is a bit pricey.

ac
Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The piston and rings are trashed. Check the cyl. for scoring and also check the insulator for cracks.

......AMF!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
The piston and rings are trashed. Check the cyl. for scoring and also check the insulator for cracks.
Would a compression test confirm this without disassembly?

ac
Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trust me...................ya do trust me, right?

My day job:Name:  005.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  211.6 KB

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  180.1 KB

......AMF!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i would go with big fish.....i'm guessing he probably knows
Old 09-29-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Trust instilled!

Where do I order parts?

ac
Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I started disassembly. I pulled the plastic cover, the air cleaner assembly and the exhaust. I looked at the piston through the exhaust and everything appeared ok so I figured I'd throw the compression tester in for the heck of it. It pumped out 160+ psi!

Could the piston/rings be trashed with compression that high? Is the insulator the plastic part between the carb and the cylinder? I'm not familiar with blower terms.

ac
Old 09-30-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention in the previous post, but the exhaust had fuel/oil in it. Spark plug was also soaking wet with mix.

Sounds like something is wonky in the carb causing a super rich condition?

ac

Last edited by avc8130; 09-30-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the piston/rings are OK. Compression looks to be OK also.
Could just be a case of severely flooded , the bottom of the crancase is pooled up with gas. Leave the plug out and muffler off and turn the unit upside down while pulling the starter to clear most of the fuel out. The transfer ports are on the fan and recoil sides of the cyl. under the plate that is held on by two screws. If you kinda lean the unit over on it's side it will help the excess fuel to drain out the exh.
Yeah, the ins. is the black plastic block that the carb bolts to. They will sometimes crack on the cyl side at the web separating the top and bottom passages.
About the only thing that will make the carb flood is dirt in the inlet needle or the in. lever too high. Prolly wouldnt hurt to get a rebuild kit for it.
But clear the crankcase out first and see what happens.
You can usually re-use the exh and ins. gasket. You might can get by with the old carb gasket , I use spray sealer on all the gask.

......AMF!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Sounds like the piston/rings are OK. Compression looks to be OK also.
Could just be a case of severely flooded , the bottom of the crancase is pooled up with gas. Leave the plug out and muffler off and turn the unit upside down while pulling the starter to clear most of the fuel out. The transfer ports are on the fan and recoil sides of the cyl. under the plate that is held on by two screws. If you kinda lean the unit over on it's side it will help the excess fuel to drain out the exh.
Yeah, the ins. is the black plastic block that the carb bolts to. They will sometimes crack on the cyl side at the web separating the top and bottom passages.
About the only thing that will make the carb flood is dirt in the inlet needle or the in. lever too high. Prolly wouldnt hurt to get a rebuild kit for it.
But clear the crankcase out first and see what happens.
You can usually re-use the exh and ins. gasket. You might can get by with the old carb gasket , I use spray sealer on all the gask.
I tried flipping the unit around and pulling the starter. I got a little black liquid out the exhaust. I pulled the intake boot off and the whole choke assembly is wet with fuel. I pulled that assembly off and the throttle cylinder (?) is all wet also. I'm getting the idea this carb needs a rebuild?

ac