Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

TifBlair Centipede or Palmetto St Augustine in Charlotte, NC???

Will either TifBlair Centipede or Palmetto St Augustine survive in Charlotte, NC? The actual location is Mount Holly, NC 28120. I'm looking for something that is semi shade tolerant that will crowd out Bermuda grass and also live through the winter. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you are quite far enough south for either one of those grasses. And crowding out bermuda just isn't going to happen. That stuff is stronger than any grass there is. I recommend zoysia sod.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm east of 95 and both thrive here. Centipede needs full sun. St aug will work better in the shade.

I'm not sure about the Charlotte area though. Know a lot of fescue is there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Centipede will be ok, but st. Augustine won't do to well. You may need to add some sand to the soil as well as other amendments
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Centipede will be ok, but st. Augustine won't do to well. You may need to add some sand to the soil as well as other amendments
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go w/ the Centipede this spring. I was wondering how to prep the soil. I read I should till some Humus into the ground before putting down centipede, but I also heard it likes sand. Is it better to mix in just sand or a combo of both? How much of each? I have the typical red clay and was thinking about just mixing in some "clay breaker" mulch. It's a fairly new home as well so there is very little organic matter in the soil currently and it gets pretty rock hard in the summer. I looked online and I'm not quite sure what to do, if anything, about the clay. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey:
Wrong fertilize--centipede dies
Wrong soil--centipede dies
Wrong pH--centipede dies
Too much heat--centipede dies
Too much cold weather--centipede dies
Too much water--centipede dies
Too little water--centipede dies
Mow too much--centipede dies
Let is grow too much--centipede dies
No fungicide treatment--centipede dies
Wrong weed control--centipede dies
Too much foot traffic--centipede dies
Look at it cross-eyed--centipede dies

Now that I've told you the truth--go with the bermuda or Zoysia. They love you
Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate how Bermuda looks (fine blades) and it won't grow in shade. I had considered Zoysia... In particular El Toro b/c it spreads quickly relative to other Zoysias, disease resistant, grows in shade, will grow in my area, drought tolerant, course blades, can be cut with rotor mower, etc, etc... However, I'm having a hard time locating someone local who carries El Toro sod, it's not available in seed so any "touch up" will have to be done with Sod, and most importantly the Bermuda "weeds" will infiltrate and take over the Zoysia.

A few guys down the street have centipede growing "wild" in their yards and it is actually crowding out the bermuda. I think that is one of the main reasons I was considering it or the St Augastine's in the first place...

Sounds like I might be better off just letting the weeds and wild grasses just doing their thing and call it a day...
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeep_1999 View Post
I hate how Bermuda looks (fine blades) and it won't grow in shade. I had considered Zoysia... In particular El Toro b/c it spreads quickly relative to other Zoysias, disease resistant, grows in shade, will grow in my area, drought tolerant, course blades, can be cut with rotor mower, etc, etc... However, I'm having a hard time locating someone local who carries El Toro sod, it's not available in seed so any "touch up" will have to be done with Sod, and most importantly the Bermuda "weeds" will infiltrate and take over the Zoysia.

A few guys down the street have centipede growing "wild" in their yards and it is actually crowding out the bermuda. I think that is one of the main reasons I was considering it or the St Augastine's in the first place...

Sounds like I might be better off just letting the weeds and wild grasses just doing their thing and call it a day...
I have one property with palmetto. It's a front yard that has 3 big oaks competing with it. The grass is green, looks nice, but is a little thin. Some areas get full sun for a good 5-6 hours a day while other areas get filtered sun for a little less. The grass does look good, but will never be thick. I don't know how much shade your talking about and if there is any competition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rroad is right, centipede is way too finicky. You can find el toro if you try, that's the grass i was thinking about. Don't be fooled, bermuda trump's centipede or any other grass every time. Or, like you said, don't do anything and be done with it.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't take it wrong--I really like centipede, but after years and years of working with it, there isn't too much issues. It does not require as much mowing as some other types, simply because it does not require as much proper fertilize as other grasses--just the right type. In working with it, water is very important. Most people slowly poison it with a chlorine based potassium (Muriate of Potash) and turn around and mow it too close. It would do just fine with nothing on it except water and not mowing. Fence off a spot and let it go with nothing but water. It loves an acid pH so amending with sulfur two times a year and staying off it (Not much foot traffic). So it's not suited for frequent mowings, children, pets, which nullifies having a lawn. In Charleston, SC they have postage stamp lawns of it in some of the old town and it is beautiful, but never walked on AND MANAGED every day. IF that was a goal of mine and had the time, then centipede would be my choice. Then there is the real world. I sorta think it would do well in cemeteries.