Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2000, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like ya'll got a little private conversation going on here! I sure as heck don't understand what ya'll are talking about. Sounds like a joke, but you never know. Well, except for Grasboy! I know he's a joke!<p>Homer
Old 02-18-2000, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We've looked at a couple of commercial sites on our county arial maps. They're nice to measure condos and apartments more accurately. <p>I considered purchasing the whole set of the areas we service. Sometimes I get sick of measuring all those lawns.<p>Anyway, I've found that: 1.) I can't use them for landscape installs and 2.) New neighborhoods and office parks spring up constantly and a 1 year old map is of no use.<p>
Old 02-18-2000, 10:07 PM
Banned

Grassboy please tell us what you have learned<br>in this discussion. If not please ask inteligent questions. Thank you Tim.
Old 02-19-2000, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another way to cut down on measuring time is to keep good records of the jobs you've measured, especially ones you bid but didn't get. Here's why: Commercial jobs will come up for bid again in a year or two and in residential areas in our region, people move alot. So the old lady who called us for a bid and then went with a neighbor boy will either call us back when she tires of him or she'll eventually move out to a retirement place. Now a new homeowner is there and we can quickly approach and bid the services they may be interested in having done.
Old 02-19-2000, 10:43 PM
Banned

Lawnnut-&lt;p&gt;You must have an interesting stride if your pace is 7.5 square feet. I walk in linear feet, but have left the bar walking as you describe. One step forward, two steps back. &lt;p&gt;John
Old 02-19-2000, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

judas priest guys! we have a regular soap opera going on here.<br>Hey dingo-one more to add to the pot.<br>I am a believer in the measuring wheel, esp. after the first big place I bid on. Had I guesstimated, I would have either lost my butt big time or got laughed at for such a high bid. <br>Also, it definitely tells the customer about professionalism, whether true or not, it makes you look more like a pro to boot.<br>I got a measuring wheel at an auction for $15, so don't think you have to pay top dollar; & yes it works fine. If you want to stay in lawn care & want to grow, then a meas. wheel is a MUST!. Besides, it's a write off. <br>An acre of ground measures out to be 43,560 sq.ft. You need to fig. your expenses & cost of doing business, then use that to find out how much you need to charge to mow an acre of grass. You can have a few fig.'s ; one price for an acre of bare flat ground, one price for trees & a house on it, one price for an acre with hills & lotsa trim work, etc. You get the idea.<br>Take those prices & divide each of them by 43,560 (sq.ft. in an acre). That is how much you will charge for a sq. ft. of whatever kind of lawn you're looking at (your 'sq.ft. charge').<br>Go out to your bid site & measure length by width & multiply together to get total sq. ft. for the property. Times this by your sq.ft. charge according to what kind of terrain it is. That should give you an idea of what to bid. <br>It's a lot less complicated than it sounds.<br>I charge between $35 & 60 for an acre, & that gives me a fig. of $.0008034 per sq.ft. to $.0013774 per sq.ft. to mow, trim, etc. the place.<br>So if I pull up to a place to bid, & I need $50 an acre to do it (all-mow/trim/etc.), I go & measure it. It turns out to be a 400 x 400 ft. plot. 400x400= 160,000 sq.ft. <br>I take 160,000 & div. by 43,560 & I get 3.67 acres. $50 x 3.67 acres = $183.50 to mow each time. Let the math do the work for you. If it's too high for them,see if you can mow only & charge less accordingly. If not, at least you know for sure you would have lost $$ on that account. Good luck.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 02-20-2000, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a word about wheels. Besides the '$60 wheel' referred to many times, there are a couple of others. One is the same basic model, but it has a kickstand. Nice for open sites but miserable for measuring around shrubs because it gets hung on the lower branches. The 'gee whiz' model has a built-in memory and calculator on the counter. You can have the sq. footage for every section before you get into the truck.
Old 07-01-2000, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Folks,<p>Been doing a lot of archiving (and learning tons! Thanks!) and I had a question on one of these old threads. I want to get me a measuring wheel as soon as possible to make more 'accurate' bids, but I can't find any mention of where to get one. I don't know anyone around town who has one, and I doubt I'll find one at my dealer shop or the local Orchard Supply. <p>Where do I find 'em? Any online sites I could purchase one?<p>Thanks!<p>-TGC
Old 07-01-2000, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grainger.com<br>Landscapersupply.com<br>Northerntool.com<p>I am sure you will find one here.
Old 07-01-2000, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, AL! Found one at Grainger and Northern Tool by Rolotape. 3-foot circumference wheel, folding, and measures up to 100,000 feet (more than enough, I'm sure!). $105 at Grainger and $89.99 at Northern Tool. Appears to be the same model. I'll put aside some duckets to order the NT one in a couple weeks. Thanks!<p>-TGC