Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its worth it for the big compressor , I was doing 50 a year , now I do over 1000 , A diesel towbehind , is quicker , lasts longer , is more fuel efficent and it will pay for itself faster than you realize . The money spent on a new truck mount is just a bit less than a good used tow behind .
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Its worth it for the big compressor , I was doing 50 a year , now I do over 1000 , A diesel towbehind , is quicker , lasts longer , is more fuel efficent and it will pay for itself faster than you realize . The money spent on a new truck mount is just a bit less than a good used tow behind .
If a truckmount had to be bought new, I'd agree. If someone can find a good used reciprocating pump near to them, they could 'roll their own' unit for smaller dollars.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do blow outs so take this comment with that in mind.

When we were doing custom gunite work we had a 500 cfm IR that was truck mounted. We had SE tags and could pull the Ridley gunite rig behind it.

The truck was sweet driving without the rig behind it so we ended up pulling the rig with the scaffold truck. Backing was easier and there was less wear on the drivers.

That said, if i were to winterize i would lean towards a skid mount 185 with a reel attachment for the receiver.

Mounted on a 1 ton p/u would be a sweet setup.

This could work quite well for a 1 man operation. You would store the compressor for the summer, leave the truck loaded during the season.

Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I put a 100 cfm in a pickup once we are done using the truck for other things . Early on its on a small trailer , so it can be pulled by any thing we have from an astro van to an excursion . Any compressor less than 80cfm is just too slow to do a significant amount of blowouts in a 8 hour day
Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I don't do blow outs so take this comment with that in mind.

When we were doing custom gunite work we had a 500 cfm IR that was truck mounted. We had SE tags and could pull the Ridley gunite rig behind it.

The truck was sweet driving without the rig behind it so we ended up pulling the rig with the scaffold truck. Backing was easier and there was less wear on the drivers.

That said, if i were to winterize i would lean towards a skid mount 185 with a reel attachment for the receiver.

Mounted on a 1 ton p/u would be a sweet setup.

This could work quite well for a 1 man operation. You would store the compressor for the summer, leave the truck loaded during the season.

Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

check out this old thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=249859
Old 09-30-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Similar idea just smaller.

Don't you all run multiple man crews when winterizing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only reason to have more than 1 guy on a truck doing blow outs is you ran out of compressors or trucks to pull them. Or you just have an extra guy with nothing to do . An extra man can speed things up a little , pulling hose or as a spotter telling you to change zones but the time savings is minimal .