Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSLLC View Post
Someone ran into my trailer AGAIN yesterday in traffic. I have a black open trailer and the gate has reflective tape. Also I put out Cone(s) for when the gate is down, But people also fly by coming very close, The brake lights also work... Just an annoyance, anybody else deal with this? Safety First
maybe you should find better spots to park your trailer?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wish I had my camera ready yesterday....this cutter had his truck and trailer on a curve of a busy street....he was art least four feet out into the road...cones and all, I had to really try hard to miss his junk ..he'll get hisjunk damaged eventually
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
When I pull up to a property, I park across the street from the property heading into oncoming traffic. At least then. They might see the truck first. Some people are just idiots. I yell at at least two morons a day for driving entirely too fast through residential neighborhood streets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do that where I am and you'll get a nice fine, it's illegal! If someone does hit you there's a good chance you'll be found at fault.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crivers View Post
Good thing your not in Spring Hill, TN. I got a ticket for parking agaist the flow of traffic. Apperently that is illegal here.
been working in Spring Hill since 2008 doing that very thing. Never had a problem. Cops pass me all the time. As a matter of fact, park right in front of a cops house. Drive through some of these residential neighborhoods. It's rampant even with the residents.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinslawnservices View Post
I have thought about this and the only thing I can think of is mounting brake lights in the middle of the gate. I think the problem is the lights are to far off to the sides that people tailgating you can't see the brake lights and cant judge distance, then they hit you when you hit the brakes.
I was having the same prob.. I was almost hit more the a few times and once I had a guy just bump the gate. I wired all new led lights in much better then stock and added a center light to the trailer too.
Attached Images

CC 4 STROKE TRIMMER
EDGER ATTACHMENT
HEDGE ATTACHMENT
ECHO CHAIN SAW
BT130 BACKPACK BLOWER
SPRAYER'S
HAND TOOLS
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Put 15 cones out, a nice long line of them. Then they might look up once they started hitting the cones.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There really is no way to avoid some drivers. While stopped, it doesn't matter how many flashing lights you use, people will still hit you. There can be 2 police cars, 3 fire trucks and an ambulance at a car accident and people still end up hitting one of the fire trucks blocking traffic. How does someone miss a 30'+ long truck with tons of flashing LED's and an entire back end covered with reflective chevrons?

Cones can work okay but there is a certain method to cones. If you check out one of the DOT sites you will find a method to setting out cones. For example if you are parked on the side of a road where the speed limit is 35mph, you need to start setting cones out say 200' behind the rear of your vehicle and have them spaced 10' apart (those are not the actual numbers used, but you get the idea). Placing 3 cones 10-20' behind your trailer really won't do much, if a driver hits the first cone, he really won't have much time to react (even if he realizes he is about to hit your trailer) since you only gave him 20' behind your trailer. Your only hope is that the driver sees these bright orange cones from down the street and takes notice of them before its too late.

My opinion is that if you are working on a busy road or faster road, park in the customer's driveway so you are out of traffic. Or if there is a large enough shoulder, make sure to pull off the road entirely.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Put a set out with your cones. It should do the trick.

FYI, I'm joking of course.