Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag turf tiger hydro/wheel motor failure

I noticed my left side hydro was making some extra noise. When the mower was cool it was fine but after 30 min it would get worse and loose power. I also felt like the side started to freewheel at high speeds. It kinda felt like the grass was real slippery and hard to keep the mower steady.

After a full day of pushing the mower it gave out on a hill. I think the filter clogged up. The whole system is contaminated with metal flakes. I did notice the right side sticking a little before the failure probably because all the metal flakes were in there. At this point I have flushed the wheel motors and cleaned the reservoir.

I am leaning towards replacing both hydro's to be on the safe side. I was told I could probably clean out the right side hydro and it would probably be ok. I am still wondering if this could have been a wheel motor failure and don't know anyway to check them.

Any way to check the wheel motors?
Are my new pumps safe to try if it was a wheel motor failure?
Can I flush the cooler and the rest of the lines by catching it on the return line?
Can the right side contaminate the left side If I only replace the left hydro to to see if the right is still good?
Any other ideas or suggestions?
Old 09-29-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

disassemble all lines and wheel motor on the side that went bad

disassemble all lines, coolers, wheel motor and filter head and remove hydro tank and flush it on the side that went bad. Kerosene will clean all the parts and then you will want to use a pressure washer to flush lines and then re wash it in kerosene and use a air hose to blow off all parts. You dont want to have a little piece of metal ruin your new pump. Pull the wheel off the good side and take lines off and see if it has metal in it
Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckjohn View Post
disassemble all lines, coolers, wheel motor and filter head and remove hydro tank and flush it on the side that went bad. Kerosene will clean all the parts and then you will want to use a pressure washer to flush lines and then re wash it in kerosene and use a air hose to blow off all parts. You dont want to have a little piece of metal ruin your new pump. Pull the wheel off the good side and take lines off and see if it has metal in it
The good side is contaminated. So I should disassemble the wheel motors not just flush them? Will I need a seal kit if I open the wheel motors up? It makes sense to check everything and take the time rather then have a little piece screw up the new pumps. What do you think my chances of damage to the wheel motors and good pump are that the whole system is contaminated? There is an oil cooler and I am wondering if that will be able to get cleaned out, but I am pretty sure the filter will pick anything up from the cooler?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes disassemble them

Yes disassemble them and usually they will go back together without needing a seal kit but if you need a kit let me know. I can get you one. I just need the number off the wheel motor. You can use a pressure washer to clean thru lines and cooler. Its better to do it with a heated pressure washer. Take the filter off the housing and pressure was to the filter housing