Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Super Z Productivity

Many people say the high speeds on mowers such as the Hustler Super Z, Scag Cheetah, Bad Boy, and Dixie Chopper cannot be utilized as cutting speeds. This is not true, in many large, flat, open areas, these faster mowing speeds can be utilized.

I just cut 2.85 acres around 3 chicken houses with a Hustler Super 35/72" in 38 minutes. I know the exact square footage because of knowing the exact size of all 3 buildings, and the distance between, and outside the buildings. I once surveyed for a living and personally staked the houses for construction, meaning there is no guess work as to the 2.85 acres I stated.

I had to trim around 3 - 8' x 16' concrete pads large enough for each to hold 3...10 ton feed tanks. I had to trim around a 10' x 12' building that holds a 110 KW generator and transfer switch, 3...1000 gallon propane tanks, and another 10' x 20' covered concrete pad holding 2 incinerators.

The Kawasaki FX1000V pulling the 72" deck is using 1.8 gallons of fuel per hour, the math on the amount cut based on fuel usage does not look bad when cutting and trimming what would be the equivalent of 4.5 acres per hr. at the rate I was cutting.

I timed this particular area for a reason of seeing just how fast the new machine would cut a known amount, while knowing it takes my other 28/66" Super Z 50 minutes to mow this same area. I will say I ran the mower at full stick in the long straight away passes; pushing to see just how fast I could mow this amount of grass. I will also say I would not normally push quite that hard...but close to it.

What this shows is the amount of productivity one can get from faster mowing speeds, if the higher speed can be utilized.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure you can, but at what price. Most ground isn't smooth enough for 10mph+ mowing. So you and the machine get beat to snot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can barely mow at my exmarks 8moh without getting jarred around. But I do agree. At full stick you can really shave some time... Espessially cutting at 15mph

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Sure you can, but at what price. Most ground isn't smooth enough for 10mph+ mowing. So you and the machine get beat to snot.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am 63 yrs. old, so I am very educated on what is tolerable and what is not when mowing. The heavier Super Z with its now extended wheel base, and the added flex forks make the mower ride extremely well at its fast mowing speeds. If it did not, you can bet a 63 yr. old body could not take it.

I could not run a 10 mph machine, the specs. state 10 mph., but in reality, by the time the PTO is running, and the grass drag while mowing comes into play, you will be lucky if cutting at 8.5 mph. This becomes very tedious when crawling around at that slow of a speed.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone can cut at that speed, but getting the QPC that is required to make a consistant living is another thing. Some simple math when you know the circumference of your drive tires, the length of your blade, and the RPM's you're actually running will show that you simply don't get enough blade strikes per inch of forwards travel at those speeds to get a smooth, cleab cut like that required for nice lawns.

I will also add that even with a suspension system to smooth out your ride, the cut suffers from the deck bouncing around more than it needs to, or would at a more reasonable speed. It sure doesn't do anything good for the longevity of the machine IMO.

One other thing, you may be able to double cut at those speeds and still end up getting done faster, but why use the extra fuel?

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 09-29-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Anyone can cut at that speed, but getting the QPC that is required to make a consistant living is another thing. Some simple math when you know the circumference of your drive tires, the length of your blade, and the RPM's you're actually running will show that you simply don't get enough blade strikes per inch of forwards travel at those speeds to get a smooth, cleab cut like that required for nice lawns.

I will also add that even with a suspension system to smooth out your ride, the cut suffers from the deck bouncing around more than it needs to, or would at a more reasonable speed. It sure doesn't do anything good for the longevity of the machine IMO.

One other thing, you may be able to double cut at those speeds and still end up getting done faster, but why use the extra fuel?
When I make the adjoining pass at full speed and see not one blade of grass left standing to the eyes sight, that is all I can ask of any mower. I agree, on perfectly manicured grass you would slow down, but then again on postage stamp size areas where you find manicured grass you would not take a mower of this size off the trailer.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
When I make the adjoining pass at full speed and see not one blade of grass left standing to the eyes sight, that is all I can ask of any mower. I agree, on perfectly manicured grass you would slow down, but then again on postage stamp size areas where you find manicured grass you would not take a mower of this size off the trailer.
puppy,

up here there are quite a few extremely well manicured and irrigated lawns that range in size from 1-3 acres. They would be just the type of place for an SZ, but you wouldn't be able to benefit from its speed on any of them and still leave a perfect cut behind like most of these people would expect from an LCO. Now where you live, I doubt that you are fertilizing all of it and it is probably mainly field type grass I am guessing?If so, the fast top speeds may work out very well on that type of turf, but after doing the math, it just doesn't seem like it would be the cleanest looking cut on even that type of turf.

I may be way wrong, but after running the numbers, I just can't see how that few of strikes per inch of forwards travel can leave a clean cut.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
puppy,

up here there are quite a few extremely well manicured and irrigated lawns that range in size from 1-3 acres. They would be just the type of place for an SZ, but you wouldn't be able to benefit from its speed on any of them and still leave a perfect cut behind like most of these people would expect from an LCO. Now where you live, I doubt that you are fertilizing all of it and it is probably mainly field type grass I am guessing?If so, the fast top speeds may work out very well on that type of turf, but after doing the math, it just doesn't seem like it would be the cleanest looking cut on even that type of turf.

I may be way wrong, but after running the numbers, I just can't see how that few of strikes per inch of forwards travel can leave a clean cut.
I've heard this many times, and had many in the lawn maintenance business come to find out for themselves if grass could be cut satisfactorily at these high speeds. They all left shaking there heads, and some have made the statement, I really don't understand how the blades can keep up when cutting that fast.

Here is a post from one person in the lawn maintenance business that did not believe you could cut grass at high speeds without leaving uncut grass. So as you will see from this also unbelieving person, he found out exactly what I've said in this post, as well as what I have said for years concerning speed and cut quality. You also must remember, the southern stiff blade grasses I cut is totally different from the limp blade northern grasses you cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomberLawn View Post
I've become friends with Lawnsite member "puppypaws" through PMs and email and today I visited to try out his Hustler Super Z (66" Kohler 28hp EFI).

The Hustler Super Z is amazing. I didn't really think you could mow grass at 15 mph and be comfortable and get a clean cut. The Hustler does it. The Flex Forks and Flex suspension seat combined with SmoothTrak steering makes for a very enjoyable machine. I couldn't believe how it felt like the mower just floated over the ground. I asked if the mower handled that well from day one or if it had loosened up some in 350 hrs of operation and he said it had always been that easy to handle.

The cut quality is excellent. I'm not sure what type of grass we were cutting, but it was in decent shape. It wasn't manicured, but it wasn't a weedy field. I would expect a few straggling weeds, especially cutting at 15 mph, but there were none. The XR-7 deck with Fusion blades leaves a flawless cut at any speed.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Hustler Super Z. Amazing speed, comfortable ride and handling, and good fuel economy with enough power to get the job done.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it is just one of those things you have to see to believe because the numbers say there should be stragglers like carzy at that speed, but you are right that type of grass at least makes some what of a difference.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I guess it is just one of those things you have to see to believe because the numbers say there should be stragglers like carzy at that speed, but you are right that type of grass at least makes some what of a difference.
It's kinda of hard to argue once you've seen it in print by a hard-core, makes all his living, lawn maintenance company. There have been many more this has been proven to as well, but this was a quick post I recalled.