Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM
LLC RI's Avatar
LLC RI LLC RI is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 148
Andersman....

If you go online and search Flexi Drills or Canada Flexi Drills, you'll find some tool companies who sell these products.. What you ( and others too) might want to get is their 72 inch long x 5/8 or 3/4 masonry flexi bit.

Above you are talking about the guy not wanting to put a conduit under the walk... WHY?... imagine if you could get a 6 foot long drill bit and simply bore a small hole under the walk in the gravel/sand below, and pull your wire through very simply?

We do this all the time and it's a huge time saver and with just a hole one one side of the walk and a narrow trench a couple of feet out on the other side, it s a minimally invasive method to cross a narrow walkway.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 PM
S&MLL S&MLL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somerset County NJ
Posts: 763
Just be sure to be 18" under ground as per nec when going under a walkway
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
Just be sure to be 18" under ground as per nec when going under a walkway
Posted via Mobile Device
What is the reasoning behind that? Sounds ret@rted to dig a 2' hole to get under a residential sidewalk.

Last edited by muddywater; 09-27-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting's Avatar
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,009
The 18" is depth. According to code you must bury electrical cable to 18" below a sidewalk or driveway. (Although I am not sure if that code applies to extra low voltage cable - under 30V)
__________________
James Solecki
INTEGRA ~ Bespoke Lighting Systems ®
JSLDesign Inc.


www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 PM
S&MLL S&MLL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somerset County NJ
Posts: 763
In nj it does and im pretty sure its a nec thing...... yes 6 inches under the lawn but 18"under a walkway.


So much for all you flex bitters at 4"s haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
In nj it does and im pretty sure its a nec thing...... yes 6 inches under the lawn but 18"under a walkway.


So much for all you flex bitters at 4"s haha
Posted via Mobile Device
That doesnt make ANY sense. That wire is just as safe 4" as 18". In fact under a sidewalk is probably the safest place in whole yard for a wire! Have fun diggin! Flex bit here i come!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:37 PM
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting's Avatar
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,009
Muddy: 1 - How about you introduce yourself or put a proper signature line on your posts? It is a drag having to converse with a total stranger.

2 - Are you a pro or not? if you are a pro, then you had best be doing your installations in a professional manner and that includes following the applicable local, state and national codes.

Nothing puts a worse stain on this industry than those operators who convince customers to entrust them with their hard earned money, who then show up and install less than professional systems that either do not pass code requirements, prematurely fail, or do not deliver the performance and effect that was expected.

Do us all a favor; learn the regulations, guidelines, practices and codes and then put them into effect in all of your systems. You will be the better for it, for a long time to come.

P.S. No it does not make much sense, but it is not ours to challenge by bending the rules. Want to make a positive change? Join local and national organizations like the AOLP, IES, PLANET and others and then get on the committees that work to produce the guidelines and regulations that govern us.
__________________
James Solecki
INTEGRA ~ Bespoke Lighting Systems ®
JSLDesign Inc.


www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:56 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
Muddy: 1 - How about you introduce yourself or put a proper signature line on your posts? It is a drag having to converse with a total stranger.

2 - Are you a pro or not? if you are a pro, then you had best be doing your installations in a professional manner and that includes following the applicable local, state and national codes.

Nothing puts a worse stain on this industry than those operators who convince customers to entrust them with their hard earned money, who then show up and install less than professional systems that either do not pass code requirements, prematurely fail, or do not deliver the performance and effect that was expected.

Do us all a favor; learn the regulations, guidelines, practices and codes and then put them into effect in all of your systems. You will be the better for it, for a long time to come.

P.S. No it does not make much sense, but it is not ours to challenge by bending the rules. Want to make a positive change? Join local and national organizations like the AOLP, IES, PLANET and others and then get on the committees that work to produce the guidelines and regulations that govern us.
How many on here have there low voltage license?

It just doesnt make sense to go 18". It isnt any safer. When we install low voltage irrigation wire under a sidewalk to mount controller in garage it is a bore a few inches under sidewalk slab. Never had an incident in 1000 systems we have installed, and never will have an incident. 18" below the slab is 22"+... that is crazy for a low voltage wire... in my opinion.

And i know for a fact an inspector wouldnt even think about checking depth on a low voltage system. They are too lazy to even inpect a trench depth for 220v we install for electricians periodically. And that DOES need to be deep.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 AM
S&MLL S&MLL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somerset County NJ
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
How many on here have there low voltage license?

It just doesnt make sense to go 18". It isnt any safer. When we install low voltage irrigation wire under a sidewalk to mount controller in garage it is a bore a few inches under sidewalk slab. Never had an incident in 1000 systems we have installed, and never will have an incident. 18" below the slab is 22"+... that is crazy for a low voltage wire... in my opinion.

And i know for a fact an inspector wouldnt even think about checking depth on a low voltage system. They are too lazy to even inpect a trench depth for 220v we install for electricians periodically. And that DOES need to be deep.

Irrigation is 24volt systems, mechanics change batteries and work on 12volt cars all day long. Yet in NJ installing a 12volt landscape lighting system is against the law unless your have a electrical license. (not a low voltage, not a communication, not a data license..... A full blown ec.) Does it make any sense? Hell no. But its the law. Do I think its dumb and silly....... of course. Have I also seen transformers melt down that have no secondary protection.... Of course. There is a certain company who offered stainless steel transformers when no circuit breakers or fuses and when things go bad ive seen taps melted to almost nothing. Remember that if you have a 20 amp breaker on the primary line it would take almost 250 amps (depending upon break manu) to trip the main line. There for you have 200 amps (of 12 volts) arching in a stainless steel case sometimes mounted on the home.



Some guys ruin it for all of us. Sometimes its crap installs. Sometimes its labor unions (NJ) but whatever the case the law is the law. If you have to break to law to get the install done its 1 of 2 things. Either A. Your not charging enough for your service to do it right the first time. Or B. Your to incompetent as a professional to know what your doing. Its your job to do things the right way. If the homeowner questions your price its now your job to inform them why your price is your price.

As a side not calling you incompetent ( Idk who you are)....... Most of us on here take this very very seriously. We are not jack of all trades. We do lighting 100 percent as a profession. So regardless of how "******ed" laws might be its our duty to follow them
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 AM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
So do you have your full blown electrical license?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.06725 seconds with 9 queries