Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Hydraulic problems in an old bobcat

i have and old bobcat skid steer that i think is an m500 im not sure i just bought it from a guy that didn't know much about it but when i lift about half a bucket of dirt the loader would only raise about two feet up but it would go down fast and the bucket curled up pretty slow with the load,what do you think could be wrong i checked the hydraulic fluid by putting a two feet sticking the hydraulic oil reservoir and it went all the way in there and showed there is about 4 inches of hydraulic oil could this be the problem,i also have some hoses that should be replaces maybe that is causing it,thanks for your time guys and help would be greatly appreciated,Nick
Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on how high the pick up line is on the reservoir--if the pickup line is about the same level as the oil--that could be your problem.

I'm not familiar with the Bobcat line enough to know whether the pump is direct drive or belt driven. If belt driven, check the belt. Did you ask if the unit has been serviced? If everything else is good, I'd start by changing out the hydro filter--it may be loaded.

It's just my opinion(which often is not worth much) that purchasing a Bobcat from a guy who doesn't know much about it OR without giving it a test BEFORE closing the deal is risky. Such a buy can turn into a money pit if you're not knowledgeable.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The tank needs to be full. Check it with all the cyl. retracted.
Should be direct drive on the pump/s
You might could download a manual from Bobcat.

......AMF!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys i put about 1 gal. of hydraulic fluid in it witch was all i had at my house and it seemed to do the job,i get a 5 gallon pail and put that in there when i get a chance and i did test it for a pretty long time but i knew it needed some work i only paid 1900 and i think its an m500
Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you might want to pick up about 20 gallons
Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As the man sail change the hydraulic filter and the oil. If it's an M500 it is seriously old. if the previous owner didn't know much about it it probably hasn't been done in a long while. If you had to put that much oil in it, I would be looking for an oil leak somewhere. Bobcat.com may be able to give you some guidence or direct you to the local dealer for you. You have a serious antique