Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
Haha good point! Then again like I don't mind spending $$ on stuff for business purposes. I think for me it will go down to how the customer support is and how much the parts cost and such. THANKS ALOT I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!
I don't really think you will need much customer support or i parts help with a blade grinder. And I know what you mean about not minding to spend the money to help your business, I have the same philosophy, but I can tell you the Bradley will do as good of a job as you can ask for from a blade grinder.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TNGrassCutter

Well, I decided to get the Bradley instead of fooling with flap discs or sanders. Received it this week. There are labels on the wheel cover that say "Forward when using this side" which is on the left when facing the Bradley and "Reverse when using this side" which is on the right. When I flip the switch forward and apply the blade to the left side of the wheel, sparks travel to the right not left as in your photo and videos of other blade grinders. Could my switch be installed backwards?

Also, I was trying to sharpen a heavily pitted blade. Should I grind the edge flat to remove the pits on the edge and then sharpen or not worry about them? Any tricks to get the wheel height adjusted correctly to provide the right angle?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
TNGrassCutter

Well, I decided to get the Bradley instead of fooling with flap discs or sanders. Received it this week. There are labels on the wheel cover that say "Forward when using this side" which is on the left when facing the Bradley and "Reverse when using this side" which is on the right. When I flip the switch forward and apply the blade to the left side of the wheel, sparks travel to the right not left as in your photo and videos of other blade grinders. Could my switch be installed backwards?

Also, I was trying to sharpen a heavily pitted blade. Should I grind the edge flat to remove the pits on the edge and then sharpen or not worry about them? Any tricks to get the wheel height adjusted correctly to provide the right angle?

Thanks
You're doing it right. The sparks should go to the right into the shroud and away from operator. Some guys like to run the wheel in reverse so the wheel doesn't pull the blade in, it is personal preference.

The best way to set it up is to use a new blade. I can get it pretty close now after using it I know right where to put the wheel in relation to the work table.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I run it in reverse so it doesn't pull the blade down like Greg mentioned. Get a new blade and set it with that is what I did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It'll be Sunday before I can try again.

What about the beat up/pitted edge?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
It'll be Sunday before I can try again.

What about the beat up/pitted edge?
If I got one that has a bad edge I'll take the angle grinder with flap disk to it first as I can remove more material faster.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just finished sharpening 3 blades. It is a lot easier running it "backwards" so the sparks go to the left when using the left side of the machine. Gives a nicer edge for me than having the wheel pull the blade down.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I'm about to buy a Bradley.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get a real blade grinder and be done with it. Check out the Burr King X-4000 belt grinder. I wish I had one many years ago. Its not just for mower blades and way more useful than a wheel grinder. Great for fabrication work also. They are pricey but well worth the cost.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
Thanks for all the information in this thread. I'm about to buy a Bradley.
I am pretty sure you will be happy with your purchase. TNgrasscutter or Greg....you have any issues with yours? I am still happy with mine.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!

Tags
blades , sharpening