Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Tree wrapping

Ok I have done allot of reading. Like just about the whole forum all the way back to the start. One thing I didn't see is how people take down the minis from wrapping trees. I know putting them up the first time should be easy since they would be coming out of the package nicely. But how do you take them down and store them? Everything that I could think of would cause a possible problem for the next year putting them back up.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

As we unwrap the strings, we roll them in a ball, like a ball of yarn, starting with the female plug end so the male end is on the outside. Each string makes a ball. Then, just put in a box and they are ready to go the next season.

We roll new strands in a ball before installing also. It makes tree wraps go much easier.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We do the same and then put each ball into a brown paper lunch bag. I did have one tree after last winter that had a few limbs snap during winter storms. It caused a birds nest of the wires. Untimely I decided it was more cost efficient just to cut the minis off and purchase new one than it would cost for the time to untangle them.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I never thought of making balls with them. Sounds like it will save allot of time. I read somewhere to just cut them and get new the next year, but that seemed like to much of a waste of money. One thing I didn't think of is making new sets into balls before first install. thinking of it now it seems like going around the tree and branches it would be easier than trying to move that plastic holder and pulling them off one at a time. Thank you guys.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's definitely not cheaper to cut them all off, unless your using cheap "box store" or "contractor" grade minis. You'll spend so much time fallowing burnt bulbs the second season (if not the first) that it is worth it to just cut them off and replace them. But with real commercial grade lights, it is only worth it when you look at a tangled mess and think "we're do I even begin" . I'll clarify about the mess that I decided to just cut up last season. We did a number off 12'-20' trees along a commercial site, full trunk and branch wraps in white led mini and then used green led minis strung from branch to branch to give a "foliage" look. This was great until a storm snapped a few of the larger limbs on a 16' dog wood. It was such a mess that we just started cutting the wires away until we got to the point that we could begin to unwrap. In that case it was worth it for us, but in no way would I make it a standard practice.