Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

lawn uneven after planting

after planting finally it came up nice in the two spots. however now the top soil in those two spots sunk after I stepped it down before planting and still if I step on it it slighty will go in a little. more on the other spot than one.

any solutions? or just rip out of the whole lawn and start over. I just dont want to plant in the spring. seems like the falls is better because tempatures are more consistent.

thinking about hiring a local just to even things out pre-planting. I just do the rest before and after.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps you can topdress with about a half-inch of screened topsoil. The grass will come up through it. Repeat about once every 1 or 2 months until proper level is attained.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

the grass has already came up....I trimmed it but it was up to 4 inches in some spots. I dont know if you could top dress grass like that because then the where the grass root comes out it with will be covered. just seeing if I did explain it right or you misread it.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

it is good to reread your last sentence and see if it makes any kind of sense to other people that do not know what you are thinking...

What riggle said was gently rake in topsoil over the low spots in thin layers allowing the grass to poke through and keep growing... over time the low spots are filled in and the grass doesn't have to suffer...
Old 09-30-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah sounds good. thanks. only thing is once that grass in stepped on the it is going to sink. I will just keep putting a little top soil at a time.