Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtona View Post
Looks good grassmaster. Where do you get your primo in Wilson? I'm trying to find a place here in Greenville that sells it.

Weeks Seed in Greenville will have it. Across the street from Guy Smith Stadium.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Cool! Do you think the Primo helped a lot, a little or not at all?
I could really tell in the growth and amount of grass clippings. I was putting lots of fertilizer to it an was mowing 2 times a week. After primo I was mowing 1 time a week and still very little clippings. I could tell it thickened up pretty good. Would it have looked the same without primo? I don't know.

There were mixed opinions on doing primo on new turf. I chose to do it as close to fall as possible. That way if it didnt work no harm and if it did hopefully it would fill in and look good before fall.

I really think after we get into next year it will look like it was sodded.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I could really tell in the growth and amount of grass clippings. I was putting lots of fertilizer to it an was mowing 2 times a week. After primo I was mowing 1 time a week and still very little clippings. I could tell it thickened up pretty good. Would it have looked the same without primo? I don't know.

There were mixed opinions on doing primo on new turf. I chose to do it as close to fall as possible. That way if it didnt work no harm and if it did hopefully it would fill in and look good before fall.

I really think after we get into next year it will look like it was sodded.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you waited long enough for the plugs to establish before hitting it. Primo does make the grass tighter / thicker but I was not sure it would help it fill the gaps.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I think you waited long enough for the plugs to establish before hitting it. Primo does make the grass tighter / thicker but I was not sure it would help it fill the gaps.
Yeah. I had very good response on runners expanding from the "squares". The primo did a great job of thickening the turf so it doesn't appear thin. In most places its completely filled in. I only have problems around some edges which could be shade or poor soil(the sod squares are still green just didn't spread very well).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So as year 2 begins we are just starting to see some Bermuda break dormancy.

I have some areas that need some leveling and I hope to cure it this year along with pushing it to 100% coverage.

I am thinking of doing a double core aeration and then dragging something...old carpet? ... To help move some of the plugs to lower spots. Would this work? I'm trying to get away from top dressing since I've got about 8k and not spreader other than a push spreader. Still could be an option later in the year.

When is too early to aerate Bermuda? More harm than good if turf was only 15-25% green with warm temps forcated?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got any recent pics even though it's dormant? Did you wind up overseeding with rye or other grass over the winter? I had never considered dragging a piece of carpet - mostly seen people dragging small sections of chain link fencing or similar.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
Got any recent pics even though it's dormant? Did you wind up overseeding with rye or other grass over the winter? I had never considered dragging a piece of carpet - mostly seen people dragging small sections of chain link fencing or similar.
Will try to get some pics. It's about 80-85% filled in. I didn't overseed cause it was mostly covered.

My idea with the carpet was to pull it after the aeration in hopes that some cores would be left in low spots.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
One of the golf courses I worked for used a heavy mat with artificial turf on the part of the mat that hits the ground. They looked homemade but worked very well.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any updated pics since bermuda is out of dormancy? Also, how many sq. ft. was the total area you did?
Stihl FC55R
Stihl BR550
Craftsman 21"
6x10 open trailer
Old 08-23-2013, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Would love to see an update. I plugged my backyard here in Greenville, NC with Celebration Bermuda back in May. I purchased 72 3in plugs and spaced them roughly six feet apart. I fertilized every two weeks with 1 pound N/1000 sq ft using 34-0-0 quick release, watered 1in every 5 days and mowed every three days at 3/4 in with a rotary mower. The area gets full sun all day. I have almost complete coverage now and expect a complete fill in by September.