Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Giving a foreman the ability to fire someone.

Have you ever given a foreman that worked for you the ability to fire someone? For example, if you werent able to work directly with a crew and he was the man in charge. Any experiences?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do I hear lawsuit?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

MAke sure you have your verbal warnings documented, your written warnings signed by employee, and your stories straight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fire someone on the spot? Absolutely not. Recommended they be terminated? Sure. As DependableLandscaping points out, have a process and follow it so that you can avoid Grandview's rhetorical question.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats YOUR job.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Officially only I hire and fire

Unoffcially - what the Forman says goes , his recommendations are strongly followed as I hold the Forman to certain production standards. He shouldn't have someone on his crew he doesn't like

Officially the Forman can send someone home for the day, in which case I would do a verbal, or written write up the following day
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post

Unoffcially - what the Forman says goes , his recommendations are strongly followed as I hold the Forman to certain production standards. He shouldn't have someone on his crew he doesn't like

Officially the Forman can send someone home for the day, in which case I would do a verbal, or written write up the following day
Posted via Mobile Device
And this is how it should be. I have been a forman before and the owner came to me to fire a guy that he asked me to hire. I didn't like dealing with any of it but the worker did need to go and it was my call in the end.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
This is how we do it, firing someone on the spot lets emotions get involved. Maybe your foreman is mad because the guy messed up, or was late. Don't give yourself that much stress, because for every guy they fire YOU have to find someone to replace them.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Do I hear lawsuit?
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
MAke sure you have your verbal warnings documented, your written warnings signed by employee, and your stories straight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Horse hockey.

What if one lives in an at-will state? Michigan is, I can fire for any reason or no reason. I have a disciplinary policy, but I don't have to follow it.

Besides, there are some offenses that should and do result in immediate termination. What if the foreman caught a guy stealing and you were on vacation? Lying? Destroying company property? Smoking pot on the job? Drinking on the job?

What you need to do is train your foreman so they know the proper procedure for terminating an employee. And then give them the authority and responsibility they should have. Might not happen in a month or 6 or it might take a year, but to say no foreman should ever fire someone is ridiculous. Or to say a lawsuit will follow.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Why?

Horse hockey.

What if one lives in an at-will state? Michigan is, I can fire for any reason or no reason. I have a disciplinary policy, but I don't have to follow it.

Besides, there are some offenses that should and do result in immediate termination. What if the foreman caught a guy stealing and you were on vacation? Lying? Destroying company property? Smoking pot on the job? Drinking on the job?

What you need to do is train your foreman so they know the proper procedure for terminating an employee. And then give them the authority and responsibility they should have. Might not happen in a month or 6 or it might take a year, but to say no foreman should ever fire someone is ridiculous. Or to say a lawsuit will follow.

Does the employee handbook give the foreman the right to fire someone? Do you have a human resource dept that this person can go to first to find out if it personal or professional firing?