Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 PM
johnnybow johnnybow is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: corscia, pa
Posts: 139
Giving a foreman the ability to fire someone.

Have you ever given a foreman that worked for you the ability to fire someone? For example, if you werent able to work directly with a crew and he was the man in charge. Any experiences?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 PM
grandview (2006)'s Avatar
grandview (2006) grandview (2006) is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lancaster N.Y.
Posts: 3,374
Do I hear lawsuit?
__________________
www.grandviewlandscaping.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM
DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dennis ma.
Posts: 1,344
MAke sure you have your verbal warnings documented, your written warnings signed by employee, and your stories straight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,533
Fire someone on the spot? Absolutely not. Recommended they be terminated? Sure. As DependableLandscaping points out, have a process and follow it so that you can avoid Grandview's rhetorical question.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 PM
TriCountyLawn's Avatar
TriCountyLawn TriCountyLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,518
Thats YOUR job.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 PM
seabee24 seabee24 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 619
Officially only I hire and fire

Unoffcially - what the Forman says goes , his recommendations are strongly followed as I hold the Forman to certain production standards. He shouldn't have someone on his crew he doesn't like

Officially the Forman can send someone home for the day, in which case I would do a verbal, or written write up the following day
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
Officially only I hire and fire

Unoffcially - what the Forman says goes , his recommendations are strongly followed as I hold the Forman to certain production standards. He shouldn't have someone on his crew he doesn't like

Officially the Forman can send someone home for the day, in which case I would do a verbal, or written write up the following day
Posted via Mobile Device
And this is how it should be. I have been a forman before and the owner came to me to fire a guy that he asked me to hire. I didn't like dealing with any of it but the worker did need to go and it was my call in the end.
__________________
I've never been skydiving, but I have zoomed-in on Google Earth really fast.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
Officially only I hire and fire

Unoffcially - what the Forman says goes , his recommendations are strongly followed as I hold the Forman to certain production standards. He shouldn't have someone on his crew he doesn't like

Officially the Forman can send someone home for the day, in which case I would do a verbal, or written write up the following day
Posted via Mobile Device
This is how we do it, firing someone on the spot lets emotions get involved. Maybe your foreman is mad because the guy messed up, or was late. Don't give yourself that much stress, because for every guy they fire YOU have to find someone to replace them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 6,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Do I hear lawsuit?
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
MAke sure you have your verbal warnings documented, your written warnings signed by employee, and your stories straight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Horse hockey.

What if one lives in an at-will state? Michigan is, I can fire for any reason or no reason. I have a disciplinary policy, but I don't have to follow it.

Besides, there are some offenses that should and do result in immediate termination. What if the foreman caught a guy stealing and you were on vacation? Lying? Destroying company property? Smoking pot on the job? Drinking on the job?

What you need to do is train your foreman so they know the proper procedure for terminating an employee. And then give them the authority and responsibility they should have. Might not happen in a month or 6 or it might take a year, but to say no foreman should ever fire someone is ridiculous. Or to say a lawsuit will follow.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
grandview (2006)'s Avatar
grandview (2006) grandview (2006) is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lancaster N.Y.
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Why?



Horse hockey.

What if one lives in an at-will state? Michigan is, I can fire for any reason or no reason. I have a disciplinary policy, but I don't have to follow it.

Besides, there are some offenses that should and do result in immediate termination. What if the foreman caught a guy stealing and you were on vacation? Lying? Destroying company property? Smoking pot on the job? Drinking on the job?

What you need to do is train your foreman so they know the proper procedure for terminating an employee. And then give them the authority and responsibility they should have. Might not happen in a month or 6 or it might take a year, but to say no foreman should ever fire someone is ridiculous. Or to say a lawsuit will follow.

Does the employee handbook give the foreman the right to fire someone? Do you have a human resource dept that this person can go to first to find out if it personal or professional firing?
__________________
www.grandviewlandscaping.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.09284 seconds with 9 queries