Register free!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rye grows fast, but it is not so good in the heat. Does best north of Wash DC or in the mountains. Hopefully, you are looking at bluegrass, which is slower, and it may be a low-growing compact dwarf type. There is probably some fine fescue in there as well. It may be you are really in tall fescue country. Shade, heat, dryness and humidity are tough on grass. Trees do fine.
Members here who are closer to you can suggest locally adapted seed types.

What is your fertility program? Slow release nitrogen during fall rains will be a help, I suspect.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayslandscape View Post
I am agree but the lateral spread is not occurring as it has in all the other yards I have overseeded this year.
What are the specific varieties of seed you used?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Grasss seed does that... I believe that the hormones that operate the phototropic design in the plant is signalling a decrease in daylight hours and therefore is concetrating it resources into developing roots...

"The water doesn't soak in quickly, but it dries out quickly",,, so your solution is short quick irrigation events??? Isn't that counterproductive??? maybe your new grass is signalling water conservation in order to survive the winter...
What...no....come on....really?! Noooo..

Ta-Da...and for my next trick!

I think you nailed it.

Its like another discussion about BP FUNGUS. I've been reading. Although I think the industry is adopting BS FUNGUS...Brown spot fungus.

It's all about....putting down a preventive fungicide (like that's good thinking!) or trying to modify the pH (might be helpful).

All I can say is. Avoid any type of nitrogen especially in your known hotspots. Then...when the time is right and certain conditions become favorable so the turf can withstand it...force some drought stress in the turf. Drought stress not drought damage!

If BP or BS is not allowed to come out of dormancy and feed. It will mostly die off... greatly diminishing its chance to return next time around.

Enough of all the non-cultural talk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
What are the specific varieties of seed you used?
60% Trapeze Creeping Red Fescue, 30% Jamestown IV Chewings Fescue, 5% Primary Perennial Ryegrass, 5% Corsair Kentucky Bluegrass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

combination of shade and turf variety is the reason why you aren't seeing much lateral spread. In other words, don't worry about it. As I said before, you will need to overseed this area yearly. You may even want to get into the habit of just throwing out some seed during times when natural rainfall is prevalent.