Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why is the br600 so popular?

There are only two advantages that I can see with the br600, weight, and the fact that all the major components are covered, so nothing can get snagged by a branch or something. As far as comfort goes i tried both of the blowers on, and they are both equally comfortable IMO, I like the waist strap on the husky and the big soft straps on the Stihl. As far as vibration goes the husky will rattle your teeth off at idle, but once you hit the gas it smooths right back out. Maybe I just have a bias towards husky since I've not been very pleased with the newer 4mix motors Stihl makes.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I own both a BR600M and the Husky 570 BTS, and the Husky is a few pounds heavier, true enough, but the shoulder harness is vastly superior to the Stihl's (if anyone is paying attention, Stihl just recently started copying the design of the Husky's shoulder straps). The Husky stays locked in place on your back, and after a half hour or so of running either, the Stihl actually starts feeling a lot less comfortable and heavier because of having to constantly adjust the blowers position on your shoulder. I'm not what you'd call round shouldered by any means, but my 600 is always trying to slide off one side or the other. That's my only real gripe with it. I even bought the optional chest strap to see if that would help, but no luck.

They are both excellent machines, and while I definitely prefer the Husky, I like the 600's very well indeed. They are quiet and fuel efficient, and have a perfectly shaped throttle handle. The Husky has a better design to their throttle lock by far though. It is infinitely adjustable where the one on the Stihl isn't.

The Husky usually requires 4-5 pulls to start when dead cold, but starts first pull with minimal effort after that. The 600 usually takes 2 pulls cold, and one after that. I am referring to when they actually start, not just kick over.

Everywhere around me they are both $499 + tax. If a dealer offers a bigger discount on the Husky, it is not just because he can't move them. It is more likely that he is getting a volume discount on them or Husky is offering a promotion at the time. The same goes for Stihl when they offer deals. Both sell well around here. In fact, last year after Husky announced the 570/580's, you couldn't find one anywhere within 100 miles of me. I know because I checked out Husky's site for dealers within that range of me, and every single one of them said had sold out almost immediately, especially after guys started reading how well they worked on the net. I got lucky on mine because the dealer had just gotten his shipment of Husky's and RM's in right before I called, so he held one for me until I could get down there. When I asked how long before they would get anymore, every single dealer told me it would be at least another 3-4 weeks because they were selling so well that Husky/RM was severely backed up on production.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 10-01-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i have to agree the sthil straps are cheap and flimsy.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK...so the Stihl is lighter, but because it's less powerfull you have to wear it for longer!

I just wanted raw power so I got the Husky 580 last fall. The hip belt makes a huge difference...rather have the weight on my hips than on my shoulders. Having been a long-distance backpacker wearing a 40 to 100+ pound pack all day long in the mountains, 25 pounds or so walking around on lawns and pavement is nothing.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
OK...so the Stihl is lighter, but because it's less powerfull you have to wear it for longer!

I just wanted raw power so I got the Husky 580 last fall. The hip belt makes a huge difference...rather have the weight on my hips than on my shoulders. Having been a long-distance backpacker wearing a 40 to 100+ pound pack all day long in the mountains, 25 pounds or so walking around on lawns and pavement is nothing.
You're a beast.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
You're a beast.
Just so it's clear, I'm not saying that I can carry a 100+ pound backpack with ease...it's definitely a burden, and that was when I was younger.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So of I was looking for a new BP blower and was kinda between the echo 770 and this big husky what would y'all recommend? All my handheld are echo now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
So of I was looking for a new BP blower and was kinda between the echo 770 and this big husky what would y'all recommend? All my handheld are echo now.
Posted via Mobile Device
The 770 is a great blower, and I almost bought one, but I bought the Husky 570 instead, and I don't regret it one bit. That would be my choice over any of them right now if I were doing it again this fall. I demo'd every big BP out last fall before I bought a new one, and the 570 was just the best of the bunch, especially with all the things I need one for taken into consideration.

I won't knock anyone who buys a 580/8500 for their choice. It has the highest CFM's available right now, but the 570's higher MPH gets the leaves and crap that are stuck down up and moving much better.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the difference in the BTS/BPS?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BTS is the throttle mounted on the tube version. BFS is hip mount.