Register free!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this Zenith Zoysia?

This is a rental property of mine, it has centipede and a couple years ago I killed off all the centipede and seeded Zenith Zoysia. Well it didnt take very well so I figured I did it wrong and chalked it up to a lesson learned.

Now I think this is the Zenith finally taking hold in some parts of the yard. Please confirm because I need to put some treatment down before it goes dormant. Thanks, here is the picture, I can get closer ones if needed:

Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. Sorry. That's common Bermuda
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like bermudagrass to me. What kind of treatment do you want apply?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I am honestly not sure, I am not nearly as knowledgeable as you guys are. From my feeble knowledge, I would guess Bermuda would beat out Centipede easily. So there is really no point in trying to stop the Bermuda.

None of my neighbors have Bermuda, how would this have taken hold so well here? Can I overseed the rest of my lawn that is mainly Centipede to help the Bermuda along?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this Zoysia then? In a separate part of my yard. Far away then close up:

Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the parts you're focusing on are a type of nutsedge. There may be some small zoysiagrass plants in there, but there aren't many. It looks like your zoysia didn't come up or fill in.

Bermudagrass is certainly aggressive and will move in wherever it has an opportunity. Personally, I think bermudagrass (even an unimproved common type) looks better than centipedegrass, so I wouldn't mind keeping the bermudagrass.

How has it taken hold? It could be a number of things, from seeds dispersed by wind or birds, to contaminated soil or sod, to a small patch of existing bermduagrass finally got enough sunlight and resources to take off.

But, now that it's here, you can encourage it by managing the entire lawn like bermduagrass. Centipedegrass is sensitive to some herbicides, so those could be used to weaken it. I would think you would want to make a slow and steady transition instead of all-at-once.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with skipster mostly sedge and a couple broadleaves. Common Bermuda especially with proper fertilizer and adequeate moisture will fill in very rapidly during peak growing months. Also even if the bermuda doesnt completely take over the centipede a mixed stand of both can still make a decent lawn. Just do a little research on Bermudagrass maintenance and you should be just fine.