Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it has to do with the "Labor Day" holiday in early September. Everyone barks that it the "unofficial" end of summer so the get the mentality sets in that since summer is over nothing grows anymore.

Ive had 2 customers tell me this over the last week. Those 2 are on my list to be replaced next year as well. They are Bi-weekly and cheap. Ive tried to upsell other services such as mulch and pruning and they didnt bite. Apparently they dont care about how their property looks. They will most likely leave the property be until spring. Grass a foot tall and leaves everywhere.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post

I do strongly believe as you have said that it will need it 2 or 3 times more plus the leaves cleaned up. I did call her and left a message and I will see if she calls back, or I will give her another call.

I am glad that you are close to my area and understand the situation and the weather we have had, so you know what it has been like.
Ya, I'd be trying to talk to her.

I know around here people start to get weary of writing checks for mowing services, but you need to explain to her that you did skip about 5 times this year.

Heck, I know I was mowing a couple of random places up to almost December due to the warmer fall we had. I can't believe that she truly thinks the season is over.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's amazing how the customers' smiles turn to looks of disgust during this time of year. I know i can't win some battles, but i have to decide if i want that business/money. I had this idea of sending a notice stating that I need to clean up X number of times before spring, or the initial spring clean up will be X.
knowing how a few of my customers are, i'll probably lose a couple/few, but i'm at a point where i want to flip the script on them (they need me, i don't need them.)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
It's amazing how the customers' smiles turn to looks of disgust during this time of year. I know i can't win some battles, but i have to decide if i want that business/money. I had this idea of sending a notice stating that I need to clean up X number of times before spring, or the initial spring clean up will be X.
knowing how a few of my customers are, i'll probably lose a couple/few, but i'm at a point where i want to flip the script on them (they need me, i don't need them.)
You might lose more then a few with that mindset. There's plenty of others that will step right in and deal with it. You have to remember, everyone is different, their income is different, the property is different. I have customers that are on a fixed income so I know what and how much I can do to help keep their property looking nice. I have some that just let me do whatever needs to be done and bill them. I have one lady that likes to talk. I've raised her rate some to make up for the "down time" while talking. She's a nice lady and after 4 years, she's finally going to let me do the flowerbed prep and mulching.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same thing here....grass is actually growing at a pretty good rate still other than the one Zoysia lawn I have. I did skip a few weekly lawns last week, but it's not like they won't need a few more cuts. If they want to pay me hourly to clean up leaves in foot long grass it's fine with me though, lol.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There will always be a mix of client personalities. I think the goal should be to find the clients who truly do care about the well being and look of their property and maximize that client base. I've all but terminated every client of mine who only wants bi weekly service even during the spring and summer. I can't deal with those any more. But I understand the client who wants to begin and end the season on a bi weekly schedule if it won't create more work or an un pleasing look. I have enough clients that want their property looking good all the time, that the cheaper ones don't bother me as long as they are predominantly weekly clients. I know it does get frustrating to try to reason with some people who will only complain when their want for cheaper lawn care invoices goes against their want for a nicely groomed lawn, but all you can do is explain what the situation is and give them a choice between a well maintained property and a lower invoice amount. It's always going to be their decision.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had 2 customers request bi weekly, earlier in the year when it wasn't raining it was fine. However now that its pouring 4 of 7 days the grass is growing quick. I told them I want to go back to weekly, they say no keep it bi! Oh well, the worst part is the clumping. I did let them know if it needs more than 1 pass to make it look good there would be added cost. It may be their yard, but its my reputation.
The calls for plowing are coming in now!
Posted via Mobile Device