Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2012, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I might have a bad attitude....

about some things, but how about these guys?

More and more commercial properties around here have trees in a terrible state of neglect. I'm talking about not trimming low branches, and sucker shoots.

Cars in their parking lots have these branches mashed against the windshield wipers when they park, and the sprouts from the bases of the tree go for a year or so with no trimming. They can be four feet long or more. Weeds in the sidewalks with a spread the size of a basketball hoop.

I'm talking professional buildings like clinics and major cable companies. I just do not get it. Help me understand why nobody addresses these issues.

I'm sure you will say they will not pay for having these issues addressed, as they are mowed by big independent lawn care companies.

OK... what the devil is wrong with people like this. Is everything so bottom line they choose the crap shack look?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Towns, counties and states are doing the same thing. Hate it but yes it is all about the bottom line.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

These are the types of clients where you walk in with a little info book about your company, references to other equal sized properties around and point out the flaws that are affecting their property.

Give them a price and hope for the best...
Old 09-30-2012, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd say almost all our commercial including several condo complexes and large hoa properties have neglected spending money on trees...so much so that it is becoming an issue....worked really hard to setup bid info and got contractors to give estimates on several, only too have all of them balk at spending the money..
I'm on the board of an association which recently had trees trimmed by a guy who used lopers only.....despite my attempt at suggesting that this guy was clearly not going to dip the same level of work as the more expensive arborists ...we got took
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i hate it when trees aren't trimmed, takes me longer to mow having to duck around everything and getting tree branches drug across my arms
Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It could be a liability issue for them that they hadn't thought about addressing. Add that to your sales spin.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
It could be a liability issue for them that they hadn't thought about addressing. Add that to your sales spin.
Your point is valid, however I would have said sales Pitch instead of Spin.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-13-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Pawn View Post
about some things, but how about these guys?

More and more commercial properties around here have trees in a terrible state of neglect. I'm talking about not trimming low branches, and sucker shoots.

Cars in their parking lots have these branches mashed against the windshield wipers when they park, and the sprouts from the bases of the tree go for a year or so with no trimming. They can be four feet long or more. Weeds in the sidewalks with a spread the size of a basketball hoop.

I'm talking professional buildings like clinics and major cable companies. I just do not get it. Help me understand why nobody addresses these issues.

I'm sure you will say they will not pay for having these issues addressed, as they are mowed by big independent lawn care companies.

OK... what the devil is wrong with people like this. Is everything so bottom line they choose the crap shack look?
You need to talk to the property manager and arrange a property walk through. Make sure you have some other issues you want to talk about. Doing a walk through with a proeprty manager gives you an idea of where the manager stands with the overall property maintenance but it also lets them know that you are here for the long haul and want to do the best job possible. Don't talk to the manager about spending money as soon as the walk thru starts, gradually ease into. Discuss some concerns and areas you think need attention in regards to weekly maintenance. Once you have some type of rapore with the manager then talk about the tree issue. Maybe they have been talking about taking care of it but don't know exactly how to address it. Make sure you have at least three different priced out options for you to submit and dsicuss them in detail (be preapred), and don't have the estimate in your hands, the manager will think you called the meeting just to submit an estimate for additional work, very unprofessional. Have the estimate ready but mail it to them by the end of that meeting day.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats why I like my full service lawns dont have that issue