Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The waist strap on the Huskys is a huge plus in my opinion. The Husky 580 is definitely a good bit more powerfull than the 770. I have run them side by side. I do agree with Ridin' Green that the 580 doesn't scour all that well from the factory, at least for a tall guy like me. I was disappointed in that part when I got mine, having used Shindaiwa EB630s with a long tube that scoured well and I could get right down to the ground. Yes it will scour stuck debris, but it takes longer than it should for such a beast of a blower. I added an extra intermediate tube to mine, and with that on it scours exceptionally well. I was going to do the same had I bought the 770 after running it at the dealer and being surprised that it didn't scour that well either...I'm a pretty tall guy putting the tube on both of them a good ways above the ground.

I posted this video elsewhere, but here it is again. I think the 10 minute mark on shows best how powerfull it is...look at that dirt fly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCeCOzlqGg

I haven't run the 570, but I think Ridin' Greens recommendation for the 570 is probably a good one for most operators as an all-around blower. I think for my purposes, which includes blowing literally miles of dirt road and trails, the 580 was the best blower for me...that massive amount of air flow is good for blowing branches and light brush.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The padding on the Echo's straps is nice, but that's only a small part of the story. The shape of the Husky's straps, is far better for staying in place and making the unit feel lighter over longer periods of use, and are padded more than enough for comfort. The padding on the Echo is a cheap foam rubber like material, and tears easily compared to the Husky's back pad. The Husky has either the waste belt to help distribute and carry the load like on the 580, or the partial belt with the padded ears on the 570. Both are far superior to the Echo for comfort and support.

As for the cooling system, maybe you just don't know what you are looking at, or for. It is built right into the back frame as can clearly be seen in these pics along with the shape of the shoulder straps. the cooling system keeps the back frame nice and cool, but doesn't blow cold air against your back in the colder weather like the Echo. There are vents behind the padding on the Husky that allow air to be blown out around the padding and cool your back, but not blow directly on you to make you cold.
In the first pic it looks like your husky won't work in my extreme blower rack. Guess I'll stick with the echo 770, the dealer has been good to me, and our only husky dealer is my kubota dealer which is a bunch of Jackwagons. I don't really need huge power to move branches and huge piles of leaves, just normal cleanups and blowing clippings and dirt off parking lots. Just ready to step up from my echo 500 I've had for a few years now, I'm sure I'll see a big difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
In the first pic it looks like your husky won't work in my extreme blower rack. Guess I'll stick with the echo 770, the dealer has been good to me, and our only husky dealer is my kubota dealer which is a bunch of Jackwagons. I don't really need huge power to move branches and huge piles of leaves, just normal cleanups and blowing clippings and dirt off parking lots. Just ready to step up from my echo 500 I've had for a few years now, I'm sure I'll see a big difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Like I've posted many times on LS, the 770 is a sweet blower with a lot of power/performance. You will be well served by it. I just found soemthing I liked better, but I would gladly own a 770, and almost did.

Why won't it work on your rack? I don't use racks on my trailer like most guys do for trimmers and blowers etc because I also use my trailer for my CUT and the racks would be in my way most of the time, so I am not up on them like I maybe should be.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
The waist strap on the Huskys is a huge plus in my opinion. The Husky 580 is definitely a good bit more powerfull than the 770. I have run them side by side. I do agree with Ridin' Green that the 580 doesn't scour all that well from the factory, at least for a tall guy like me. I was disappointed in that part when I got mine, having used Shindaiwa EB630s with a long tube that scoured well and I could get right down to the ground. Yes it will scour stuck debris, but it takes longer than it should for such a beast of a blower. I added an extra intermediate tube to mine, and with that on it scours exceptionally well. I was going to do the same had I bought the 770 after running it at the dealer and being surprised that it didn't scour that well either...I'm a pretty tall guy putting the tube on both of them a good ways above the ground.

I posted this video elsewhere, but here it is again. I think the 10 minute mark on shows best how powerfull it is...look at that dirt fly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCeCOzlqGg

I haven't run the 570, but I think Ridin' Greens recommendation for the 570 is probably a good one for most operators as an all-around blower. I think for my purposes, which includes blowing literally miles of dirt road and trails, the 580 was the best blower for me...that massive amount of air flow is good for blowing branches and light brush.
darryl-
I think I may have mentioned this to you before, but maybe one of these days you may want to try this-

get a new end tube (the one with the flare out at the end), and cut it off right at the bottom of the curve before it starts to flare out at all. That flare is on the 580 for a reason, while it is missing on the 560 and 570 even though they all run the same tubes otherwise. The flare is suppposed to diffuse/spread that huge airstream somewhat to make it more usable aginst a wider area, or heavy pile. By cutting it off, it is suppose to keep the air stream more concentrated (relatively speaking) and able to scour than the stock tip does with the flare.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you have mentioned it before. Isn't the tube on the 570 the same diameter as the 580...couldn't I just get the end tube for the 570? In any case, I'm good with it the way it is. I'm used to putting on/taking off tubes on my Shindaiwas all the time and I do the same with the Husky as needed. Generally I just keep the extra intermediate tube on because I really can blow pavement off up to 30 feet away with it like that. For blowing bulky debris, such as when I'm stacking firewood with it, I take it off...hehe...ok, maybe that's a little bit of a stretch. What you're supposed to do is put the high velocity nozzle on with the optional extra handle that mounts to the tube...but I just can't see having to have to two-hand a blower tube. I've tried it for short periods with one hand, but it just torques the tube too damn hard to hold it unless you're at low throttle...and then what's the point, ya know. You can brace your elbow against your side...but it's just not practical....you'd be in the hospital if you tried to do that all day long.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I'm tired, because yea, as far as I know, they are the same tube size so the 570 end tube should work. I just thought I'd mention it so that you wouldn't have to keep swapping tube ends. The one on the 570 seems to work well for all conditions. I wouldn't want to use that two handed deal either. At the end of the day I think I'd have the constant feeling of leaning towards the left from fighting that thing.

You need a 3 pt blower for your 855 for your trails. Then you could blow the leaves off the trail, into and on through the woods and onto your irritating neighbors property
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The PTO blower would work for the 1/2 mile of dirt roads, but the trails are kind of rough and getting the tractor through some of them, although possible, is cumbersome and a bit dangerous. I actually used to use my 5 foot brushog along the dirt roads for the leaves...going backwards it blows them all to one side pretty well and cuts the grass at the same time.

It's not like I'm swapping tubes all the time or anything. But I like to use the best possible tool for each situation...heck I have 5 or 6 showels and 5 or 6 rakes I bring out for landscaping jobs, 5 hedge trimmers for hedge/shrub jobs, 5 axes/mauls for splitting wood, etc., all used for what they're best suited depending on the exact situation at hand...it's how I operate.

This guy is using the high velocity nozzle on the 580, which I think is the wrong thing to do in his situation. If he just used the stock tube that stuff would be flying rather than just rolling, but maybe that's not what he wants? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsVtsMh2x5c

Speaking of neighbors, I bet her neighbor across the street just loves this!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY6jI...eature=related
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's haylike material, so it's still impressive what he's doing, and I think you're right. He is most likely wanting to roll it down the hillside while keeping it all together. I know that kind of stuff is hard to get up and moving, so maybe the flat duckbill nozzle gets under it better and seperates it from the live plants like peeling velcro apart?

It looks like that house across the street may be empty judging by the look in and around the windows, but still......
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
So what does that prove? Not much other than they need to be thicker to be anywhere near as comfortable for long periods of use. On top of that, I was talking about the back padding looking smaller on the Husky than it really is due to the distance away from it that I took my pics. It is far more than enough coverage for anyone's back, and is a very durable material unlike the Echo's.

Listen bro, I'm glad you like your Echo. I do too. Tthey are great blowers, and almost bought one just before getting to demo the Husky. I am glad I waited. The Husky is just more blower for the same money all the way around.
I compare the Echo's thick padded straps to what would {per sey} dolly parton want in a nice comfortable bra.

The Husqvarna shoulder straps ain't no where near that.
Looks like the Echo has 4x the padding. They're not cheaply made either.
My last echo was a pb420Ln that lasted over 10 years. This one is going into year 4 pretty soon.

The Husky's hip strap is for stability, just like the tack on a pack mule.
It's designed to reduce operature fatigue and not for bearing a load.
If it were for load bearing, you'd have to cinch the strap very very tight around your gut. {Practically growing up in the Wasatch} A pack mule couldn't survive without that cinch strap, it'd fall head over heals off the edge of the trail...one good thing though, it would be found at the trail head after rolling back down the mountain. Most of us aren't using blowers in extreme conditions. Some do, like myself who use them on rooftops.

I like the business end of the Husky/ The air filtration system is old school but reliable. It's practically the same as what I used over 10 years ago on my old Echo. I do not like the creature comforts though. The load bearing straps are way thin, the back pad is week and the operator cooling system is no where near as useful. Echo, in comparison is better on all points as far as being comfortable. Echos {saddle} back pad is better for vibration and load bearing support, compared to Husky.

I just do not see this Husqvarana back pad being as comfortable as Echo's.
Maybe that's the diference between a "caddilac" and a hot rod?
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have to disagree about the Husky waist strap; it does take the load off your shoulders. I do cinch mine up, the same way I would on any backpack, but you don't have to if you prefer to have the weight on your shoulders. Now if you were saying that about the chest strap I could see, but the fact is that you can use that to take some of the load too, although most users would probably keep it fairly loose. It's really a pretty comfortable harness system and I have never wished it had thicker padding or anything. I'd say they got it right. Have you ever actually worn and used one?

The fact remains that the Husky easily outperforms the 770 and I find it comfortable. Yeah, by time I've burned a tank full (about 1.25 to 1.5 hours) I'm ready to take it off, but that's the case with any blower or trail backpack I've carried, and I've carried them a good bit (I'm a 3,000+ miler).