Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not in my area. Ron, are you in the south? LOL! What type of seed? Bermuda should go down in early summer when temps are above 85 and expected to go higher--or am I wrong about that?
I say, do not start until you are satisfied the irrigation is working. Arrange a subcontractor to do this.
Roundup...then...sod is best. Looks great immediately...labor cost is low. (My opinion--you can mow short and skip the tilling. Fall is OK.)
Roundup followed by slit seeding is my second choice. Followup with an additional broadcast cover of seed so you have double the recommended amount. Apply starter fert. Too much grass is better than too little.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

why no sod?
no one will wait a year and call you back. someone else will get the job. get the sprinklers fixed and give it a shot
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
why no sod?
no one will wait a year and call you back. someone else will get the job. get the sprinklers fixed and give it a shot
Yeah I know, that is a looooong time. I'll be honest with you, I have no experience laying sod. I helped do it one time about 15 years ago when I was working for a landscaping company. Every other time I've done a lawn its been till, grade, spread and cover.

I don't even know how to price sod but would imagine it would be a lot more then an estimate for doing it the way I'm acustomed to don't you think?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Not in my area. Ron, are you in the south? LOL! What type of seed? Bermuda should go down in early summer when temps are above 85 and expected to go higher--or am I wrong about that?
I say, do not start until you are satisfied the irrigation is working. Arrange a subcontractor to do this.
Roundup...then...sod is best. Looks great immediately...labor cost is low. (My opinion--you can mow short and skip the tilling. Fall is OK.)
Roundup followed by slit seeding is my second choice. Followup with an additional broadcast cover of seed so you have double the recommended amount. Apply starter fert. Too much grass is better than too little.
In Virginia.

So with no experience in sodding maybe I should just pass on the job? I really hate turning down work. I mean, 3,600 is nothing but I want to be confident going into a job. Having no experience in sod I'd feel weird estimating that.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

If I were bidding on it, here's what I'd do:

1. Tell them everything. Explain your concerns.

2. Suggest that they start with just mowing the weeds, front and back. Very basic package. I'm always amazed at how good a patch of weeds looks after mowing it for a month. Get them a decent hose end sprinker and a simple timer, and teach them to use it. It's not a golf green, but it's not weeds. Once the lawn gets used to being mowed regularly at 3 inches or so, ask them about a broadleaf herbicide treatment.

3. Get the irrigation system working.

By the way: won't a slit seeder wreck the sprinkler heads? Maybe mow for a year, then in the fall on a day of light rain, seed and roll. The Briish have been doing that for 300 years. You have to use more seed when you do that, but you save the price of the rental on the slit seeder. And if you have a working sprinkler system, you can set it to run often enough to keep the seedling grass moist.

4. Ask them what they want in an ideal world, what their budget is to get there. Some of it is ongoing, some is once only.

5. Talk about xeriscaping -- moving to a no-mow solution. This has tremendous appeal for lots of people, particularly in cities where water is rationed. Still requires periodic maintenance, mostly vacuuming up leaves and needles, or massive gardening, depending of whether they have beds or cover with gravel.