Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

billing software

what do y'all use for billing I bought quick books and don't like it. Part of it I think is my felt in that I can't figure it out I do not want to Itemize everything is showing as a expense. I just got off landscaping billing and it looks ok but is there a place to do expenses on the full version.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have tried the trial version of groundskeeper pro and loved it. I planning on buying it in the near future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Gopher softtware works great for me.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

vaacutabove,... Perhaps you can be more specific in your concerns about QB. Many of use QB, are pleased with it, and may be able to provide some help. But, we need much more detail of your problem. What you wrote is insufficient and does not make sense.

If you want something to just do billing (as your title suggests), then what will you use to do your financial management? If you split up these functions, you will have to duplicate information, and also run the risk of error. QB provides the financial management, AND the functions of Invoices or Statements.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
vaacutabove,... Perhaps you can be more specific in your concerns about QB. Many of use QB, are pleased with it, and may be able to provide some help. But, we need much more detail of your problem. What you wrote is insufficient and does not make sense.

If you want something to just do billing (as your title suggests), then what will you use to do your financial management? If you split up these functions, you will have to duplicate information, and also run the risk of error. QB provides the financial management, AND the functions of Invoices or Statements.
QB is WONDERFULL, however for the little guy, it's very hard to learn, I understand where he's comming from. it's a huge APP, with many things to learn. I think he may have spoken out of turn. something like Gopher, and the aboved post may be ust what the doctor ordered for him.....

some times Just starting out somehting like QB is very intemdating, Especially when you dont know that much about data bases. start with something little for a few Customers. 25 to 50, but after that, Move to QB...

Best of luck
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

bohiaa ... your point is well taken. However, "... for the little guy ..." implies that financial management, ease of getting invoices together, etc. is not very important.

I am solo, with about 45 accounts. That keeps me busy 60 hours per week, or thereabouts. Knowing who owes what, who has paid, banking statement reconciliation, managing credit cards, knowing where expenses flow, knowing what accounts are most profitable, ... all are important, whether one has 40, or 400 accounts.

I question the assertion of "many things to learn." Doesn't everybody come out of high school these days with basic financial management in their education? Doesn't everybody understand double-entry accounting? If these basics aren't understood, then the likelihood of being a successful business is very small. Somebody can make the straightest lines across the lawn, lay down the most distinct stripes, and drive their ZTR 15 mph, but if the financial understanding of the business isn't in place, failure cannot be far over the hill. Businesses usually don't fail because the owner got bored with the work.

If somebody does not want to be involved with the finances of a business, perhaps they would do themselves a favor and be an employee, drawing a regular paycheck. That is not meant to be harsh, unkind, or critical. That may be the reality, and the quicker it is realized, the better.

If the OP is having troubles, many here are willing to help. Or, he can find a QB Advisor from a list provided by Intuit. They are plentiful, and probably close at hand. A couple of one hour meetings with a knowledgeable person could be all that is needed.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started using quickbooks this year and regret my decision. Riddled with bugs. The most frustrating is I can not use automatic invoicing because qb keeps changing the invoice template on me. They want me to pay for support to fix the problem???
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipk1 View Post
I started using quickbooks this year and regret my decision. Riddled with bugs. The most frustrating is I can not use automatic invoicing because qb keeps changing the invoice template on me. They want me to pay for support to fix the problem???
I've never heard of anybody here speaking of bugs in QB.

Tell us about "automatic invoicing." The template is YOUR choice. You have the opportunity to establish many different templates in a library, keep as many active/inactive as you wish, and have the choice of which active one to use when creating an Invoice.

What problem is there to fix? Support for QB is for a limited time after activating the license, not unlike any other software.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

are there any programs that do invoice and the accounting side of it would love to be able to buy something put it in my phone walking to the truck put the ticket in box for taxes.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

QB now has a great online version. Can be used on smart phones or Ipads etc...

That is what we are moving into. Right now we use a 2008 version of QB and Jan 1st we are moving into a fresh version. The online version automatically backs everything up for you.

I agree Gopher and the like are perfect for smaller operations. Once you grow into having to keep track of every little thing then QB is a must.