Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about scalping on uneven terrain with the 72"; is it as big a problem as others say it is??
Old 10-02-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimkill View Post
How about scalping on uneven terrain with the 72"; is it as big a problem as others say it is??
No it's not if the wheels are spaced far apart, a 72 is good on properties that take over 15 minutes to cut with a 60 and are not real uneven. A 72 can cut small yards and is only a touch bit more clutsy than a 60. A 72 is not great for all cutting but is alot better than one would think on small properties.

If you only have one mower a 60 or 54 is better overall but if you do bigger props it just stomps a 60 good, it can shave hours off your day if you are mowing for hours at a time.

The biggest problem for me is not scalping but dips in the turf under the deck that need to be finessed with the weed trimmer in high visibility areas where you want it to look correct to the eye.A 72 over all in my opinion cuts better than a 60 but it can add a little trimmer time to make it blend in correctly in uneven areas but only on certain properties.

Most people who go from a 48 or 54 to a 60 and then try a 72 will quickly realize the 60 purchase was a mistake because on average a 72 only cost a liitle more to purchase over a 60 but can pay the additional cost in as littls as a weeks service. It can easily cut 500 more $ a week.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The new 72" Super Z I just bought does not have any anti-scalp wheels on the back of the deck, and I honestly thought this would be a problem, but so far it has not been. They offer an option for a center roller for the back of the deck, and the price is very low, I'm thinking $40. I've run a 66" deck for years, and honestly can't tell the 72" would scalp any worse than the 66", so there must not be a noticeable difference. I would guess it may be a little worse than a 60" deck, but it's been so long since I've run one, I honestly can't remember the difference.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Real slow and pupster for the feed back! Most of the properties I cut are over 8 acres. I only have a few smooth properties I cut; grass airstrip, and municiple airstrip. The rest are hilly and uneven, I put 6+ hours on both of my mowers yesterday and was fatigued from the heat and all day cutting so might if I get extra cash get a 72" super z. I love hustler's! My 1 year old ferris with 509 hours on it has had the deck severely damaged cutting the same terrain the hustler has been cutting for 2.5 years and over 1000 hours. The deck strength has got to be good to last down here its rocky terrain.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thank you Real slow and pupster for the feed back! Most of the properties I cut are over 8 acres. I only have a few smooth properties I cut; grass airstrip, and municiple airstrip. The rest are hilly and uneven, I put 6+ hours on both of my mowers yesterday and was fatigued from the heat and all day cutting so might if I get extra cash get a 72" super z. I love hustler's! My 1 year old ferris with 509 hours on it has had the deck severely damaged cutting the same terrain the hustler has been cutting for 2.5 years and over 1000 hours. The deck strength has got to be good to last down here its rocky terrain.
If you want to talk about a tough deck and mower you have got to put the Cub Cadet tank into the conversation. That is one over built machine and the design schematics will be found in museums across the world centuries from now.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
If you want to talk about a tough deck and mower you have got to put the Cub Cadet tank into the conversation. That is one over built machine and the design schematics will be found in museums across the world centuries from now.
Cub Cadet looks like something a kid put together with tinker-toys compared to this new Super Z I just bought. But then again I suppose that statement was coming from a facetious tone.

Last edited by puppypaws; 10-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL. Real slow! I just got a contract with a new resort, its 14.5 acres and they just gave up on trying to mantain there 8 month old cub cadet ztr, not sure if it was the tank or not but they said it was a p.o.s. Belts, pullys, and drive system kept going out they asked me if I wanted to take a look at it. I said thanks but no thanks its yellow but not the same as my yellow one. LOL.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The new 72" Super Z I just bought does not have any anti-scalp wheels on the back of the deck, and I honestly thought this would be a problem, but so far it has not been. They offer an option for a center roller for the back of the deck, and the price is very low, I'm thinking $40. I've run a 66" deck for years, and honestly can't tell the 72" would scalp any worse than the 66", so there must not be a noticeable difference. I would guess it may be a little worse than a 60" deck, but it's been so long since I've run one, I honestly can't remember the difference.
I bought the dual anti scalp kit a few weeks ago for mine. $70 ish I think. Only reason I got it was because I am cutting football fields at 1.5".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You've been out of touch for what seem like years, where have you been?
Up to my eyeballs working and raising kids. I honestly haven't had much time to spend on the computer.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I bought those rear anti scalp rollers for my 60" Super Z because I go over a lot of curbs.
It's worth the money.
My Lesco Z2 had a full width roller, standard.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.