Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I agree. I hate the belittling of members and the know it all top secret attitude. We are all here for the same thing...to learn from each other, if that's not what you are here for than maybe you are in the wrong forum. You rarely contribute anything useful to other members...especially if they are not licensed in the state of FL...we can't help where we are from and the varying levels of difficulty requires to be licensed in other states...it is what it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
I gotta say this is why I dont stop in much anymore.
To many pissing contests.

BTW Ric, FWIW, I do enjoy your posts usually. You have always struck me as a pretty well informed individual with a worthy opinion.
However...............Sometimes its hard to put up with the grumpy ole man syndrome. I can see why some would suggest that you are a bit more ballsy behind the keyboard.

Hey Scott!
Must be applicator error!
All kidding aside ole buddy, I havent had any problems and it seems we should be on the other end of the cycle by now.
What did you use?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In case people haven't noticed, I ANSWER QUESTION But don't ask them. If anyone is so thin skinned and feels so inferior that they don't like the way I answer questions. Then put me on ignore so you don't have to read them. I will turn 72 yrs old this month and that is my Personality in real life as well as the Internet.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

In case people haven't noticed, I ANSWER QUESTION But don't ask them. If anyone is so thin skinned and feels so inferior that they don't like the way I answer questions. Then put me on ignore so you don't have to read them. I will turn 72 yrs old this month and that is my Personality in real life as well as the Internet.

You wouldn't last a day in Jawga...I know you know Karate, but that won't protect you from being slapped, kicked in the teeth or shot. So if you wanna make it to 72, stay out of Jawga.

All we are asking is that you not be such a knob.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Enough already with the fighting!! We had our hottest july on record here in south east massachusetts, so im sure some of the breakthrough is due to not watering and some due to photodecompisition. We had more beetle activity in this area than we have seen in 3 or 4 seasons, in fact i had chafers buzzing around my gardens in norton ma. well into september. What im trying to figure out is are the grubs starting to build an immunity to merit?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
Enough already with the fighting!! We had our hottest july on record here in south east massachusetts, so im sure some of the breakthrough is due to not watering and some due to photodecompisition. We had more beetle activity in this area than we have seen in 3 or 4 seasons, in fact i had chafers buzzing around my gardens in norton ma. well into september. What im trying to figure out is are the grubs starting to build an immunity to merit?
If Barry posted rutgers reporting zero resistance issues, then I would say it's most likely a cause of all the factors you listed. But as previously stated (to play devils advocate) sugar cane grubs in FL are not controlled by merit, so I guess resistance is possible.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How bout them Grubs! lol

Seriously. I just walked off the second best soccer field in my town and they have grubs up the ying yang. I don't treat it but will be from now on.

Now they need grub control on 70,000 sq feet of un irrigated turf set for slit seeding soon...Yippee!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
If Barry posted rutgers reporting zero resistance issues, then I would say it's most likely a cause of all the factors you listed. But as previously stated (to play devils advocate) sugar cane grubs in FL are not controlled by merit, so I guess resistance is possible.
Just to be clear, Rutgers was only referring to their test plots. Merit applications are ubiquitous, so resistance will happen, it's just a matter of time.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes im seeing alot of breakthru as well,

im seeing it mostly on well irrigated properties, and maybe two non-irrigated

-as of last week most were almost a centimeter long, heads between 1/16 -1/8" wide
and acitvely feeding of course, so id say umass was right on with their predictions this season

im seeing alot of oriental beetle grubs and few e chafer

not good
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i used merit a few years ago and both times it failed me so last year and this year i used arena no problems in either yr...dont know if the problem with the merit was the timing or the type of grub..
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm seeing breakthrough as well. One is a large irrigated lawn that is well maintained. It has a very thick turf yet the damage from grubs was accelerating at a quick pace. I hit it with duocide and all is well.

Not sure what to do for next year. I'm hoping it is just environmental factors and not a decrease in the efficacy of the product. FWIW I use a fert coated with Merit. Have used it the past two years with great success. 100% effective until now.