Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hospital bidding

i was thinking about bidding some hospitals since their popping up everywhere yea i know ill get the your 14 crap but its my dads company till im 18 anyone know what department or person to contact for bidding info any imput apriceated
Stihl handhelds
texas bragg trailers.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not being negative, but there are 4 hospitals within 20 miles of my company, 3 are "for profit" and basically owned by a national chain. They each put out a yearly bid sheet and each of them state as a requirement a 8 man dedicated crew due to the size of the grounds.

The 4th and non-profit (city owned) has their own crew and they do contract out yearly mulch renovations and such, but keep everything else in-house.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock lawn and land View Post
i was thinking about bidding some hospitals since their popping up everywhere yea i know ill get the your 14 crap but its my dads company till im 18 anyone know what department or person to contact for bidding info any imput apriceated
We tried this once. The problem is it comes as a package, one main hospital, and 12 branches that needed to be taken care of. The main hospital required 2 crews 1 day a week. If you really are serious contact the facility manager and see where to go from there.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah once again the property is so big I would be surprised if a crew of 8 could handle it all in one day a week, so the company you are in charge of probably needs to have a crew of near 100 or more, and if you're 14 you can't legally make the binding decisions anyhow, when it comes time to sign the contract they will want an adult, mostly because a contract signed by a minor is not legally binding.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was always curious about hospitals and large luxury hotel bidding. I was in Orlando Florida this past week and can not believe the landscaping of these fine hospitals and hotels. It would take a serious team just to get it all done.So much grass and delicate shrubs and flowers. I wonder what the average bidding on these massive propertys are. I would not know where to start and how much to bid.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Their big but not huge the one I wanted to bid is a 73 acre campus with around 10 acres max mowing I know for a fact 2-4 guys it wouldent take a full day theirs problay 6 hospitals in their chain and 50-100 other bulidings I'm serious about doing it but if I came anywhere to bidding I know I could hire some more crews
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock lawn and land View Post
Their big but not huge the one I wanted to bid is a 73 acre campus with around 10 acres max mowing I know for a fact 2-4 guys it wouldent take a full day theirs problay 6 hospitals in their chain and 50-100 other bulidings I'm serious about doing it but if I came anywhere to bidding I know I could hire some more crews
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have the equipment to tackle the properties? Most places want a list, how many employees on staff, and a list of similar accounts. Also hiring a crew isn't a one day project, finding good reliable people can't be done at the drop of a hat. Just ask the guys with multiple crews.....
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

subscribe, this is good stuffffff.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Many commercial places require proof you are already up to handling the job. A bond may also be required. At 14 you don't have the experience to be bidding large commercial accounts. Try getting a small strip mall or c store first. Also be aware most commercial operate on 30 to 90 day pay schedule. Can you cover payroll for 90 days on a crew and financed equipment? Not being mean just putting out the facts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Yeah once again the property is so big I would be surprised if a crew of 8 could handle it all in one day a week, so the company you are in charge of probably needs to have a crew of near 100 or more, and if you're 14 you can't legally make the binding decisions anyhow, when it comes time to sign the contract they will want an adult, mostly because a contract signed by a minor is not legally binding.
The hospitals around here range from a small 80 bed to mid size 300ish beds. All of them are on a central campus with the main hospital and ranging from 3 to probably 15 separate buildings contained on campus.

I've never even thought about bidding on one due to the requirements, but I did waste a few hours a couple years back just going on a walk through just for giggles. Brickman, Athern, US Lawns were all there too. The smallest hospital a well equipped crew of 8 could knock it out easily in an afternoon. It was a lot of cut up medians and perimeter grassy areas, a couple 52" walk behind and 2 quick guys trimming could get all the parking areas, 2 guys blowing the immediate cutting areas and 2 more on general cleanup... not too bad.

The three larger hospitals would easily take a dedicated 8 man crew 2 days, and that would be pushing it.

The one thing I noticed on the contracts are that they all wanted cut on odd-ball times, nothing between 8am-6pm due to parking and foot traffic.