Register free!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My remark was to aerate only (no fert/seed) in response to cpl lawn's post. It's great if he gets that to aerate ...i was just sayin'
Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We run a sale every fall - $173 for the first 3000 sf (almost all of our clients have 3k to 5k sf lawns.) That covers aeration, seed, and starter fert.

It's kind of tight, but most of them are on our program anyway.

I try to stay away from straight aerations but end up doing a dozen or so. Those are usually when somebody calls while we're out and about and their house is close to where we are at. So it's kind of gravy. We charge $75 for 3k and $10 for each additional k.

I have no idea how anybody could do it for less. I've seen cube vans full of Classens and illegals, and I've seen bluebirds in buicks pull up, so I guess somebody has figured out how to make lowballing work.

I just scratch my head and don't worry about it.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
A lot of times people charge 2-3 times the cost of mowing... The biggest hassle is flagging the irrigation system and invisible fence wires...
Those invisible fence things are a real racket. They can't bury them 4" deep? I had one years ago and dogs that really want out (like horny ones) will just take the shock and run through it, twitching all the way. It also does nothing to prevent outside dogs from coming in and tearing up your dog. Also, say goodbye to Fido if there is a power outage w/o a backup source or other malfunction in the unit. Which happens from time to time.

Good enough if you just let your dog out to whiz, but definitely not for unsupervised dogs long term. Most lots I see them on are small enough a small fenced area in back wouldn't cost that much anyway.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
My remark was to aerate only (no fert/seed) in response to cpl lawn's post. It's great if he gets that to aerate ...i was just sayin'
I haven't ran into any large properties over an acre yet but yea the $15 is just for aeration no seeding. sounds like some are getting even more.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
Those invisible fence things are a real racket. They can't bury them 4" deep? I had one years ago and dogs that really want out (like horny ones) will just take the shock and run through it, twitching all the way. It also does nothing to prevent outside dogs from coming in and tearing up your dog. Also, say goodbye to Fido if there is a power outage w/o a backup source or other malfunction in the unit. Which happens from time to time.

Good enough if you just let your dog out to whiz, but definitely not for unsupervised dogs long term. Most lots I see them on are small enough a small fenced area in back wouldn't cost that much anyway.
It's amazing how some people are able to pull off selling these things yet we struggle to sell a service much more valuable