Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Little Wonder leaf vac/shredder

im dreading leaf removal at a new place i got this year. i could probably suffer through it with my helper and use the old tarp method or i could buck up and spend the money on a leaf vac mounted to my dump trailer. The 14hp is $2,499. $249.00 for the truck mount, then tax and freight. id be right around $3,000 for that one. It has an 8'' hose. The 16hp, 10'' hose, with a few other differences is $2,999, and again $249 for truck mount, then include tax and frieght. probably be around $3500. Now sure which to buy? if the upgrade is worth the extra coin.

it sucks cause i really only need this for 1 commercial complex i have. the other commercial places its not really that needed although id use it if i had it. residentials are cheap and do themelves and leave em at the road all half @ssed like or would be easy enough i could get away with tarp method for the ones i got. town picks up leaves around here

im trying to justify this as a future investment as well with more commercial places in sight i would probably want one eventually. its just now i only got 1 place id really like to have it. very on the fence here.

DECISIONS DECISIONS!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is online now
Sponsor

I'm biased towards Billy Goat, but I'll give you my 2 cents. If you're really trying to avoid retail watch Craigslist (be careful though) or check with rental companies to see what they offer. They normally have wheeled blowers and vacuums. Rarely do they have Debris Loaders but it does happen. Another option is subbing it out to another landscaper you trust.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ive definatly considered all the options youve mentioned. i cant find one to rent. only the walk behind leaf vacs. nothing as of yet on craigslist been checking past few days within a couple hours of my house. although there was one tow behind unit a couple hours away for 2500 but it really didnt tickle my fancy. not when i can get a new one truck mounted for around that. Any landscapers i know personally dont have a loader vac either. Unless some local guys on here wana chime in!! i searched out some other companies but havent landed on one yet that can accomodate me. probably cost me an arm and a leg knowing the prices around here. i just drove by a dump truck with a tow behind loader on the way home. made me jelous. i was at my propery in question today and leaves are already coming down good. in the next few weeks its guna be a mess. i gotta figure something out soon. i can definately afford the blower system new. ive been saving my business money all year and barely paying myself anything. the place i called talked me out of the billy goat. said the LW was better. but who knows. i gotta do some more calling around today
Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard good things about a LW from a guy who use them. I hear the reduction really makes for tight loads.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a miracle may have just taken place. i will know more tomorrow.

The unit i'm going to look at is a LESCO. how are these? he said its a v-twin motor. but couldnt remember many specs. said he bought it 2 or 3 years ago for his company, the crew used it for an hour, and never again since. said its on a pallet up on a shelf and is basically brand new. and to come make an offer. seemed like a nice guy. I can save a good buck if this pans out.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice, that sounds better then taking the plunge on something new. Ive used the lesco loader and it worked just fine.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea i agree. was pretty lucky i stumbled on this. good thing i made all those phone calls today. ill post up how it goes tomorrow
Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How did you manage to track it down ?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A barely used unit would be nice...might have to mess with the carb a little depending on how it was stored.

I'll be putting my Billy Goat 16Hp up for sale as soon as I dig it out of it's corner and make sure it operates properly, but Southern CT would be a haul for you.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im good with carbs been messin with them since i can remember. so that wont be an issue. hopefully it starts up with some fresh fuel though. CT is a drive. and im not a big road tripper. I actually paid a friend to drive 5 hours to pickup a motorcycle for me this summer. yea, its that bad.

How I found out about it was i was calling around all the different dealers today getting prices on the brands they carry. calling rental places. just calling everybody i could pretty much. i phoned a small outfit nearby that sells mower stuff, said he could probably order me one but then said last summer a guy came in and left his # saying if anybody was interested in buying a leaf loader that he had one forsale. I was skeptical that it would still be available, or if he'd even answer the phone for that matter but nonetheless i got the guys number and rang him up. He answered right away, said he still had it. said it was like brand new and almost never used since they bought it 2-3 yrs ago. said he forgot what they paid for it, doesnt know what its worth, not sure of exact model..just that it has the big v-twin motor. who knows what size it is til i get there. but said to just come check it out and make an offer. i would have headed out immediately but had a dinner to go to an hour later. so i'll be out there tomorrow to check it out. i'll let ya know how it goes