Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Need advice

I'm a freshman in high school, and I've mowed grass with my father for money since I was 10. I'm looking to get more lawns to cut and sidewalks to shovel in the winter, but I'm not sure how to come up with a reasonable price to ask for doing this type of work. Any advice on how to approximate a price that will satisfy both you and the customer? Any advice on low ballers?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Any helpful tips?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is your overhead, what type of equipment do you have? How many hours can you mow per week? These are questions that determine what you bill out at. I could tell you $20 per cut, but I don't know how much money you have invested, what the market will bear in your area or what size properties you are capable of doing.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

equipment

I have access to a pushmower if needed, and I have a Huskee SLT4200 with an 18.5hp Briggs and Stratton Extended Life Series engine with 540 hours on it. It has a twin-blade 42" deck on it. I also have an old Bolens H-16 with a 3-blade deck outfitted with Gator Blades if I need to cut through thick grass. I also have a 3-bag grass collector for the Huskee. (It's a sad MTD, I know). I could mow in the range of 20-25 hours per 5-day week, and possibly 30-40 including weekends.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Now figure out what you have into those mowers, what you need to replace those mowers when they are worn out, fuel repairs etc. What you want to look at when you first start out is, how long will this property take, and how much money do I need to make to break even? So if you figure it will take you an hour to complete a property, how much money do you need to make to cover your expenses for that hour? Then you can determine how much "profit" you will make from that property. Just never forget to figure cash flow and yourself in the equation. Your time is worth money whether you pay yourself or not.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, I will be sure to factor that stuff in. I was also thinking about snow blowing during the winter. We have a 6.5hp Cub Cadet 2-stage snow blower that can clear alot of snow in a short period of time
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dont' go overboard with snow blowing. Snow rarely happens when you want it to and you will find it conflicts with your school schedule. Offer it to mowing clients but make sure not to take on too many accounts and burn yourself out. It will take some time but you'll figure out how much you can handle.

Last edited by jrs.landscaping; 10-03-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking about only offering snow blowing on days that I have off from school, that way I wouldn't have to worry about it conficting with my school schedule. I live in south central PA, and we usually get alot of snow in my valley.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

As a potential customer, why would I hire someone to blow snow on the days that they want to? It's either all or nothing. I hire someone that does it every time it snows, or I don't hire them.
I can understand if you get up at 4:30am and clear your stuff before school, and then again at 3:30pm you clear it when you get out of school, but to say you will only do it on your days off won't fly.

Moving snow stinks. Two years ago I was moving snow on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Eve. You can bet I didn't want to, but it snowed and I had clients so I did it. We don't move much snow anymore, it just isn't worth it. If I didn't have two little boys at home I would be all for it.
There is a reason guys charge a high hourly rate to move snow. You need to get paid enough to make it worth it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I didn't mean to say that I would only do it on my days off, I would do it like you said, clear my stuff early in the morning and then other peoples' after I get home from school. I might suffer some late nights because of homework, but hey, it's worth it.

Tags
lawn care business price