Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

first seeding job

This is my first seeding job i've gotten asked to do. I am used to doing cutting, edging, removal, shrubs, trimming and mulching so far. I got a call today from someone wanting aeration, seeding and fertilizing. I did a few jobs like this when I worked with a big commercial/residential landscaping company but wanted to ask on here for help because it was a while ago since I have done any. Do I aerate the yard, then spread seed then drop fertilizer? OR wait a week and drop fertilizer after aeration and seeding.

Thanks for any help, hopefully it comes soon as I will need to get back with this man in 48 hours.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do all of that all at same time.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

curious as how you priced it if you aren't sure how to do it.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are inexperienced and unsure about grass seeding, then I would mention that 'aerating and seeding' is about the worst scenario for the seed...

If I were you, I'd go after the best possible conditions under which to get seed to grow... trying to learn the intricacies of what is the most favorable bed for the seed, by plunging through with and aerator and dumping seed, really is counterproductive...

What kind of turf do you have that the owner "Thinks" it needs aerating and seeding? Does this "Thinking" by the owner have "Reason" for this procedure?? or is it another "Imagined" procedure, by the h.o., that makes grass grow???

There are a number of sensible ways to prepare for overseeding that should be done first, before resorting to the less sensible idea of preparing a seed bed... there are a few scenarios in which aerating and seeding go together by necessity, but generally do NOT compliment one another...

To get(do) a good job,,, get a good education!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Smallaxe, I respect what you are saying and have read many of your posts. But, I disagree with your statement of aeration being counter productive before seeding. I donít want this to be a battle of education because I have a horticulture degree and we are really just trying to help a guy out. Aeration and seeding achieve two completely different goals, and I have never read anything that says thet it will decrease seed germination if aeration is done first.
For years now I have been aerating, power seeding, and fertilizing in that order with tremendous results (Tall fescue). Iím just up in Maryland and I prefer to get my seeding jobs finished before October. I think you will get seed to germinate before the growing season stops, and hope for warm weather.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorefield View Post
... Aeration and seeding achieve two completely different goals, and I have never read anything that says thet it will decrease seed germination if aeration is done first. ...
And I agree... 2 different goals...

Power seeding/slit-seeding is done when seeding is the goal...

And I agree,,, Aeration doesn't decrease germination per se, but niether does it create a seed bed that is conducive to germination...

Aeration is done when relieving compaction, living thatch, and getting ammendments into the rhizosphere is the goal...

The OPs last comment was : " Do I aerate the yard, then spread seed then drop fertilizer? OR wait a week and drop fertilizer after aeration and seeding..."
Does it sound like he's going to run 2 machines or 'spread' the seed with the idea in mind that the aeration has done the necessary prep??? Encouraging him to 'spread' the seed over aerated turf, doesn't really help the guy out IMHO...

Are we in any disagreement???

I have to say that I have had seed germinate in those holes... never in between the holes(unless other steps were taken)...