Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the equip to cover it infact the same equip the run a 60 g3 36 gstand a foreman doing nothing and someone weed eating /blowing the do in in around 4-5 hours I can get reliable employees if I need more also equip if I was to even be. Close to getting the contract yea I can handle 90 day pay stuff being its me my dad and at max 2 other people but does anyone know aculty what dept of such to contact to get the info? Ps valley crest does it now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

plant/materials management or house/grounds.... all depends, sometimes you just have to pick up the phone and call...
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would rather have 4 places that equal the hospital and not put all my eggs in one basket. I would also do some other small commercial stuff first cause no large corp is going to look at a 14yo and his dad. Not to mention they wont want anyone under the age of 18 working on their property.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock lawn and land View Post
I have the equip to cover it infact the same equip the run a 60 g3 36 gstand a foreman doing nothing and someone weed eating /blowing the do in in around 4-5 hours I can get reliable employees if I need more also equip if I was to even be. Close to getting the contract yea I can handle 90 day pay stuff being its me my dad and at max 2 other people but does anyone know aculty what dept of such to contact to get the info? Ps valley crest does it now
Posted via Mobile Device
Not tryin to be mean... but if the hospital sees a contract like this paragraph, it would probably go straight into the trash. I can't make sense of some of the stuff above..."infact the same equip the run a 60 g3 36 gstand!?!?!?. Huh? Why would foreman be doing nothing? Do you have enough work to keep new employees busy 40hrs a week? Not gonna find employees that will be fine with 4-5hrs a week that you estimate for the job.

I like your attitude toward growing the business but need to work your way up to the big stuff. Is this really your dads company & you think you are taking over when 18? I am solo part time with fulltime job & hired my son (20 yrs old) with hopes I could send him out by himself & grow the clients, then quit my fulltime job at some point when there was to much work for him to handle in a week. Right off the bat he was telling friends we were partners & told a friend he would hire him when I quit going out to mow! I had to tell him he was not a partner & I would not hire if there was not enough work that would even keep him busy a full week & once he had a full week I would be quiting my job to grow it to keep both of us busy for a full week. I came to realize I'd prob never be able to send him out on his own & ended up letting him go when drought hit. When I did have my son working, I would not even have thought about going after a hospital. What is your dads opinion of going after the hospital contract? Does he even know your getting advice on getting hospital contract? I could see my son doing this when he thought we were partners, without even consulting me first about what I thought about a contract like a hospital.

Like mentioned in other posts, the hospital would prob not want a 14 yr old working on the property for liability reasons, your company doesn't have the expierience maintaining something this size, you do not already have employees on staff & may be under equipped. I had a friend email me info for bidding Stark Metro Housing Authority properties in my area. She worked there & knew I was doing lawn care, I did not request the info. They wanted to know how long in business, list of equipment, # of employees & amount of time employees have been employeed at the company. They want to see employee stability, not "Oh, I have none & will hire if I get the contract"

You say the company can handle payroll & financed equip for 90 days at start of season. What about materials, like mulch & chemicals. Probably thousands of dollars in mulch & $100's in chemical before first check rolls in. Lets just say 4 man crew... 4X40hrsX$10=$1600 a week, $1600X12 weeks=$19,200(90 days) + $1000's for mulch + $100 for chemicals + $100's for fuel & maybe $100's for financed equip. Do you have that kind of money rolling in from current accts in 90 days to cover these expenses? Does not make good business sense for a father/son LCO, IMHO!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by C Jovingo Landscaping; 10-03-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh and I will add that I have done Hospitals from the employee end and they are a PITA. ..lol
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of luck getting it away from Valley Crest. You won't underbid them unless your guys work for free.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Lots of luck getting it away from Valley Crest. You won't underbid them unless your guys work for free.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bingo!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
This is the answer to ALL questions. Companies like this have bidding down to a science, have the manpower and capital to make it work, and work off of slim margins. Like someone else posted, I admire the enthusiasm but botching a contract like this could be the end of your business. We just took over a contract from someone who cut our price by 60%, in 2 years his business went bust and the contract holder was suing him for breach of contract and applicable damages.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
subscribe, this is good stuffffff.
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock lawn and land View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
Not tryin to be mean... but if the hospital sees a contract like this paragraph, it would probably go straight into the trash. I can't make sense of some of the stuff above..."infact the same equip the run a 60 g3 36 gstand!?!?!?. Huh? Why would foreman be doing nothing? Do you have enough work to keep new employees busy 40hrs a week? Not gonna find employees that will be fine with 4-5hrs a week that you estimate for the job.

Beat me to it.

Listen to this advice. Spend more time in school learning proper spelling and grammar. Then work on building the business.

Seriously, you sound like an illiterate high school dropout. First impressions are everything and if you can't portray professionalism in your speaking or written communication, you will be laughed off the property.

I like your attitude toward growing the business but need to work your way up to the big stuff. Is this really your dads company & you think you are taking over when 18? I am solo part time with fulltime job & hired my son (20 yrs old) with hopes I could send him out by himself & grow the clients, then quit my fulltime job at some point when there was to much work for him to handle in a week. Right off the bat he was telling friends we were partners & told a friend he would hire him when I quit going out to mow! I had to tell him he was not a partner & I would not hire if there was not enough work that would even keep him busy a full week & once he had a full week I would be quiting my job to grow it to keep both of us busy for a full week. I came to realize I'd prob never be able to send him out on his own & ended up letting him go when drought hit. When I did have my son working, I would not even have thought about going after a hospital. What is your dads opinion of going after the hospital contract? Does he even know your getting advice on getting hospital contract? I could see my son doing this when he thought we were partners, without even consulting me first about what I thought about a contract like a hospital.

Like mentioned in other posts, the hospital would prob not want a 14 yr old working on the property for liability reasons, your company doesn't have the expierience maintaining something this size, you do not already have employees on staff & may be under equipped. I had a friend email me info for bidding Stark Metro Housing Authority properties in my area. She worked there & knew I was doing lawn care, I did not request the info. They wanted to know how long in business, list of equipment, # of employees & amount of time employees have been employeed at the company. They want to see employee stability, not "Oh, I have none & will hire if I get the contract"

You say the company can handle payroll & financed equip for 90 days at start of season. What about materials, like mulch & chemicals. Probably thousands of dollars in mulch & $100's in chemical before first check rolls in. Lets just say 4 man crew... 4X40hrsX$10=$1600 a week, $1600X12 weeks=$19,200(90 days) + $1000's for mulch + $100 for chemicals + $100's for fuel & maybe $100's for financed equip. Do you have that kind of money rolling in from current accts in 90 days to cover these expenses? Does not make good business sense for a father/son LCO, IMHO!
Posted via Mobile Device
Excellent advice all the way around. Listen to it Schrock.

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
And you beat me to this one.

Chances of underbidding a company like VC or Brickman are slim to none. If you want to stay in business anyways.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 10-03-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't care about proper grammar an fall that crap when I'm on my phone once again yea I can handle all the equip expenses and that crap my real question for this thread was do you know who to contact in the hospital chain or whoevere
Posted via Mobile Device