Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
An example was the quart of Conserve SC I purchased the other day. Lesco priced it at $ 160.00 My supplier deliveried to my Shop for $ 121.57. That is a 25% price decrease.
I don't know how much things have changed in JDL the last couple years. I worked for them for 5 years, first as an assistant manager when it was Lesco, then as a branch manager for a couple years after JDL acquired them. When I was there we would drop our pants for a good customer, yes we had to make a profit at the end of the day. But if a customer told us that he was buying something for 25% less than us, we would drop the price to meet it. A situation like Ric's above, we would have rathered sold it cheap to barely make a profit, if that meant that we would gain the loyalty of the customer, and we could make money on other sales to them. But a lot of that comes down to what the area managers and regional vp's allow the store managers to do. I have chosen not to do business with them since I started my business, but I have run in to a couple of the branches over the bast couple years and talking to the guys I have seen things have definitely changed.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaacutabove View Post
Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea Right like Lesco is going do that. The time I bought WEED N FEED and found it $ 2.00 cheaper at Home Depot an Hour Later, Lesco did nothing to make It right.

BTW Green Industry If I were you, I wouldn't be telling any one I worked for Lesco.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
I don't know how much things have changed in JDL the last couple years. I worked for them for 5 years, first as an assistant manager when it was Lesco, then as a branch manager for a couple years after JDL acquired them. When I was there we would drop our pants for a good customer, yes we had to make a profit at the end of the day. But if a customer told us that he was buying something for 25% less than us, we would drop the price to meet it. A situation like Ric's above, we would have rathered sold it cheap to barely make a profit, if that meant that we would gain the loyalty of the customer, and we could make money on other sales to them. But a lot of that comes down to what the area managers and regional vp's allow the store managers to do. I have chosen not to do business with them since I started my business, but I have run in to a couple of the branches over the bast couple years and talking to the guys I have seen things have definitely changed.
Can you shed any light on the seemingly arbitrary pricing? I understand that prices change over time, but I could buy something one day and go back the next to get more and have a 30% difference in price...almost like they just made it up. That's why, as I mentioned early, I began placing my orders through the website, where the prices were stable....not always the same but not with with wild flucuations at the store.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Can you shed any light on the seemingly arbitrary pricing? I understand that prices change over time, but I could buy something one day and go back the next to get more and have a 30% difference in price...almost like they just made it up. That's why, as I mentioned early, I began placing my orders through the website, where the prices were stable....not always the same but not with with wild flucuations at the store.
I have no clue why that was happening to you. The last computer system we had when I was there automatically brought up the price based on your customer level, the higher your purchasing history the higher level you were and the greater discount you got. 9 times out of 10, we would overrule that price and lower it because the defaulted price was not competitive with local competition. We would simply look at the customers history and adjust the price to the same as what was last paid. Occasionally we would forget to double check the last paid price and run with the defaulted. I don't know if that was what happened in this case.
Did you bring it to their attention? Did they give you an answer to why they charged more?

There are some great differences in the service level between branches, for the most part if you are a loyal customer you will get the best service. I had guys who spent only 5-10k a year who would get a delivery before another who spent 40k because the smaller guy was more loyal and a pleasure to work with. Like I said in my other post, a lot of what happens there rest on the upper management and not on the branch manager or others in the branch. It was a great company when it was Lesco, the branches had alot more control then. After becoming JDL a lot of the power left the mangers and area mangers hands and went up to the VP's
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I in by no means spend a ton of money at the lesco by me but I will say they know me by name and for some reason give me a discount on materials. I told them what the local elevator sells some of there materials at and they matched them for me. I will say the seed at lesco is crazy expensive and I will not buy my seed through them. But other then that the salesman is full of knowledge and I have learned a lot from him
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my case the online price was usually less than the store price. Maybe they marked my pricing up at the store because I wasn't a very high volume customer, lol. I usually didn't notice the pricing until I got back to my office, and sometimes it might be days before I checked. In my case I'd usually only be there in spring and fall for seed orders, usually only a couple hundred pounds at a time...not a big customer but I like their Park & Athletic mix and their TTTF mix, Teammates Plus. I think I had them correct the pricing once because it totally blew my budget and after that just ordered from the website. I don't think I've been there in 2 years now.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Darryl I had great luck with there park and athletic blend. I only bought a 25 lb bag but had germination in about a week.
Posted via Mobile Device