Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Sam's Mowing Sam's Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newburgh, NY
Posts: 20
Help Deciding on Equipment

In the spring I plan on starting a lawn maintenance business. I am 16 years old and I have been researching equipment and reading forums for the last 6 or 7 months. My local dealer sells Scag and Ferris. I am undecided between the Scag Cheetah and the Ferris IS2000z. My dealer recommends the Ferris because of the suspension and more comfortable ride, but the majority of people online recommend the Scag. Also the other equipment I plan on purchasing is the Stihl Br600, the Stihl FS-90r, and the Stihl FC-95. I have already made a down payment on a 7' x 10' enclosed trailer and am currently looking for a truck. I would really appreciate any advice, suggestions, or comments on how you feel about the equipment I am looking at, or point me in the right direction if you feel I need it.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM
nnusskern nnusskern is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 200
Your putting out alot of money without any clients. It also sounds like your financing which i would advise against especially when your first start. I would personality just buy your handhelds and a small walk behind or 21 inch to start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Sam's Mowing Sam's Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newburgh, NY
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnusskern View Post
Your putting out alot of money without any clients. It also sounds like your financing which i would advise against especially when your first start. I would personality just buy your handhelds and a small walk behind or 21 inch to start.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a toro 21" super recycler already that I just bought this year for my house but I will be using that also. And I have about half of the total cost of all of the equipment, saved up from working during my summers. I will be financing the zero turn but that is it. And I already have a backup plan incase I absolutely need to make a payment or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM
SRT8's Avatar
SRT8 SRT8 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam's Mowing View Post
In the spring I plan on starting a lawn maintenance business. I am 16 years old and I have been researching equipment and reading forums for the last 6 or 7 months. My local dealer sells Scag and Ferris. I am undecided between the Scag Cheetah and the Ferris IS2000z. My dealer recommends the Ferris because of the suspension and more comfortable ride, but the majority of people online recommend the Scag. Also the other equipment I plan on purchasing is the Stihl Br600, the Stihl FS-90r, and the Stihl FC-95. I have already made a down payment on a 7' x 10' enclosed trailer and am currently looking for a truck. I would really appreciate any advice, suggestions, or comments on how you feel about the equipment I am looking at, or point me in the right direction if you feel I need it.

Thanks in advance.
I have a SCAG Cheetah, and it has by far the best ride of any mower that i have tried. We paid over $10k for the mower, is that in your budget? I hope you have some good size accounts to pay for this mower. Why not get a used Scag freedom Z? or Tiger Cub? they are about half the price
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Sam's Mowing Sam's Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newburgh, NY
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlandco View Post
I have a SCAG Cheetah, and it has by far the best ride of any mower that i have tried. We paid over $10k for the mower, is that in your budget? I hope you have some good size accounts to pay for this mower. Why not get a used Scag freedom Z? or Tiger Cub? they are about half the price
I have thought about buying used... But I've been told that if I am in it for the long run I will be better off buying new. And yes $10k is in my budget, I have a lot of money saved up (compared to my friends who also work) and my dealer offered me a good financing plan if I buy my trimmers and blowers from him in the future. What size cheetah do you have?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
nnusskern nnusskern is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 200
What about clients? Not trying to be an a$$hole but without any clients you just have a bunch of pretty equipment to play with on your own yard. Do you have any yet or any kind of advertising plan?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 PM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnusskern View Post
What about clients? Not trying to be an a$$hole but without any clients you just have a bunch of pretty equipment to play with on your own yard. Do you have any yet or any kind of advertising plan?
Posted via Mobile Device
To me this is a oxymoron. How can you have customers if you don't have equipment to do the job? It's a gamble you have to take to get started. I did it. In two years I dropped a cool 30K but it's all paid for now after a 5th season. Once I got what I needed to do a professional job, I seeked out clients.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Sam's Mowing Sam's Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newburgh, NY
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
To me this is a oxymoron. How can you have customers if you don't have equipment to do the job? It's a gamble you have to take to get started. I did it. In two years I dropped a cool 30K but it's all paid for now after a 5th season. Once I got what I needed to do a professional job, I seeked out clients.
Exactly what I am planning on doing. Get the equipment and make sure I am totally ready to get started before getting clients. That way if anything happens, or I am unable to get the money or the equipment, my clients are screwed over.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Greyst1's Avatar
Greyst1 Greyst1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 875
Get the Ferris IS2000. You will be glad you did, the 2000 will leave just as nice of a cut and its lighter than the cheetah. It's more comfortable plus it's less expensive. I have several threads on Ferris. To me, they have the best Ztr's right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Greyst1's Avatar
Greyst1 Greyst1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 875
And the cheetah doesn't hold a candle to Ferris on comfort. Read my threads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
equipment , ferris , new business , scag

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.08676 seconds with 9 queries