Register free!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Liquid Fert $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Do you guys really use liquid fert? I know some do, but dang the price!!
I called for a price today and one they carried and suggested was 60$ for 2.5 gal. They suggest 24oz per K so the way I figure it would treat 13.33 sq ft and make it $4.50 per K. NO WAY
http://www.growthproducts.com/pdfs/Turf_Nitro+K.pdf

What do you guys use and what about coverage
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

46-0-0 prill devolves in the tank.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Harness 30-0-0, $9 a gallon 44oz p/k, not cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes liquid ferts are expensive especially growth products imo they are better left for the golf course guys. They do have a product I really like though
6-0-0 Xtra Iron gives me a good greenup on my St. Augustine and Centipede yards that dont need as much fert as the Bermudas also its a little cheaper than Nitro. If you really want to do some liquid ferts just get some Urea or Uflexx and melt it down in your tank you can get creative and add some Iron and Potassium maybe even a herbicide if need be. I do this quite a bit especially on new yards that need a big turn around quick.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Gordon's 20-0-0 is about $30 / 2.5 gal at Tractor Supply. Still expensive but has a few micros.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The one good thing I will say about Lesco is. They have had some very good Blends of Fertilizer. However now most ever supplier has- copied the better blends. 33-0-17 was a Lesco exclusive for years.

33-0-17 come in 50 lb bags and is very soluble. Drop in two bag of 33-0-17 and a 2.5 gallon Jug of 12-0-0 Iron and you have the basic tank mix. BTW at very affordable prices. This isn't my current mix, but I have used it. How you calibrate is an other cost factor. I go a acre only putting down 3/4 lb N per thousand.

I am old school so I believe in a lot of carrier. The TG/CL types are only applying 2 to 3 gallon at most so there Tank can do more yards. By putting down 5 gallon a thousand you have less chance of Fertilizer Burn or stripping etc. Plus IMHO the fertilizer is better up taken by the turf.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

The one good thing I will say about Lesco is. They have had some very good Blends of Fertilizer. However now most ever supplier has- copied the better blends. 33-0-17 was a Lesco exclusive for years.

33-0-17 come in 50 lb bags and is very soluble. Drop in two bag of 33-0-17 and a 2.5 gallon Jug of 12-0-0 Iron and you have the basic tank mix. BTW at very affordable prices. This isn't my current mix, but I have used it. How you calibrate is an other cost factor. I go a acre only putting down 3/4 lb N per thousand.

I am old school so I believe in a lot of carrier. The TG/CL types are only applying 2 to 3 gallon at most so there Tank can do more yards. By putting down 5 gallon a thousand you have less chance of Fertilizer Burn or stripping etc. Plus IMHO the fertilizer is better up taken by the turf.

One thing has me confused, you obviously use & know alot about liquid ferts but you mention yours soil is too sandy for liquids?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
One thing has me confused, you obviously use & know alot about liquid ferts but you mention yours soil is too sandy for liquids?
Arturf

You caught me. Yes sandy soil has leaching problems and might best be serviced with Granular slow release. But what is Politically Correct is not always Pragmatic. I keep my Nitrogen rates Low, Particularly in our Rainy season. My soil does have a large amount of sand but it also has a touch of Clay and Organic matter. So it does have some Chemical holding power. Note I said in the above I calibrate my tank mix to only apply 3/4 of actual N. I don't use 33-0-17 as my Blend as also stated above. I won't give out my actual mix, not that it would help you any how because of different soils etc. But IMHO I am not contaminating the environment because of the amounts I put down at each time of the year and Rainy season.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 10-04-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

5 gallons per thousand square feet? Seems a bit wasteful to me. Studies have shown that anything above 80 gal/A (~2 gal/M) isn't giving you any extra benefit and all that extra water takes a lot of fuel to haul around.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
5 gallons per thousand square feet? Seems a bit wasteful to me. Studies have shown that anything above 80 gal/A (~2 gal/M) isn't giving you any extra benefit and all that extra water takes a lot of fuel to haul around.
We can agree to disagree but Old School pesticide applicator would tell you 5 gallon a thousand isn't enough. If I did 80 gallon an acre at my fertilizer mix rate I would have Brown Lawns. Remember Fertilizer is a salt and the more PPM of salt in water the more chance of burn. With 5 gallon a Thousand calibration I can Go light on one spot and Heavy on an other with out stripping. BTW Most of my Yards are way under 5 K so tanking large volume is really no problem.

In Edit: You are in Cool Season Turf and I am in Warm season Turf. What works for me 2,000 miles south of you should not be a concern to you as what do you won't work for me.